ellieanne22

Songster
6 Years
Nov 26, 2016
KC MO area
Hey, everyone!

A few weeks ago, I remember seeing a post that was a list of the foods ducks could eat and at what age they could eat it. I looked and couldn't find it again anywhere. Does anyone know which post I am talking about? And if so, could you please link it?

Our silly ducklings are almost three weeks old and I am wanting to start feeding them "treats" (lettuce, peas, watermelon etc.) Do they need grit like chick(en)s do? If so, can I use the same grit for both?

Are they old enough to start having some water play time? Are they old enough to have some outdoor time? Or is that really more dependent on their feathers? It has been in the mid to high 80s F, it will be getting up to 90 this weekend. I would really like to be able to get them (and they chicks we got at the same time) some outdoor time so my current flock can start getting used to seeing them around.

Once they go outside, is there a way that I can prevent them from getting bumblefoot or anything else I should be aware of before I let them go?

And lastly, I've had chicks before, so I feel fairly confident- okay, only a little confident- in being able to sex them. At what age can I start trying to identify the sex of my ducklings? They are Cayugas, fwiw.

Thank you so much for everyone who has been answering my numerous questions lately- I really appreciate it.

I don't know which post it was but the treats you were thinking of would be fine in small amounts. They are still growing after all. 😉 Some also give small amounts of meal worms.

Yes they will need some chick grit (not the large size for adults) if eating anything other than the feed.

I had my 2 week old ducklings outside in the 70's so you should be good there. Just be sure they have some shade (your temps are hotter than mine). :)

I've not had to deal with bumblefoot in either chickens or ducks in the 5 years I've had them so not sure how to prevent it from happening.

I'm no help with sexing.

I let mine have swim time at 2 weeks. Just water up to the top of their legs. Also they need grit if eating treats. And i started feeding mine peas and lettuce at 6 weeks.

Sexing will be by voice around 6-8 weeks. Females quack and males are raspier. Eventually males will typically get a drake feather as well.

With your temps I’d say the ducks may be fine outside in general. They don’t need as much heat as chicks so definitely they can go outside for some time.

They can swim when er you’re ready for them to practice, just make sure to keep a close eye on them and dry them really well. I let ours go in a sink and bathtub as young as a week

Do they need grit like chick(en)s do? If so, can I use the same grit for both?
I use a TSC chick grit (this) you can use it for most young poultry free choice.
Are they old enough to start having some water play time? Are they old enough to have some outdoor time? Or is that really more dependent on their feathers? It has been in the mid to high 80s F, it will be getting up to 90 this weekend. I would really like to be able to get them (and they chicks we got at the same time) some outdoor time so my current flock can start getting used to seeing them around.
This is perfectly fine, they will love you for it. I like to put treats in their water. Make sure you monitor them when they swim the first few times, though, they could get too cold if they can't get out. Try and find a place outside with grass so they can pick to their hearts desire, ducks love grass and it gives them a great helping of their niacin that they need.
Once they go outside, is there a way that I can prevent them from getting bumblefoot or anything else I should be aware of before I let them go?
Bumblefoot usually happens from them walking too much on hard ground. If you find a place to put them in a cage in grass this won't be a problem.
At what age can I start trying to identify the sex of my ducklings? They are Cayugas
Once they hit about 8-10 weeks, you can really start to tell by their voices, males have a low raspy "wah" sound, females will have very noticeable quacks, but its usually not until they're 16 weeks old when you can 100% tell. You'll start to see 1-2 curls in the male's tails and cayuga males usually have the more vibrant iridescent green on their heads.

Not sure what post you're talking about but if you check out my article I list quite a few treats ducks can and can't eat.

Back
Top Bottom