Duckling dying ? nvm we had to cull

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HeatherLynn, Mar 26, 2012.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Ok yesterday a duckling was born. It was in rough shape. Was shrink wrapped. Needed help. ect ect. little bit of egg sac was still there but it looked good today. Very little left to see. Well it has improved throughout the day but had not touched food. I put the smallest of my other ones in with it for company and to encourage feeding. Well fast forward half a hour and the newest duckling is on its back and it looks like the egg sac and some poo and such are outside its body again. There is blood, not much but a tiny bit. I cannot see a hole really.

What am I dealing with. My husband is on the way home to put it out of its misery. The duckling is still walking around and drinking. Tell me what to do. i am too much in tears and feeling guilty to be logical.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  2. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    I am so sorry you had to put the baby down :(

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You did the right thing. Not much chance of survival there, unfortunately.

I am sorry for your loss.

4. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    It didn't seem bothered by it all. Just kept grooming or drinking or walking, but it started pulling at it more and more. By the time my husband got home I had given up any hope. You would think I would be used to culling by now but babies always hurt. I think 20 years from now having to cull a baby bird will still hurt.

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Culling most birds hurts, but especially the babies. The only cull I ever had that was easy was culling a rooster that had just flogged me bloody while I was trying to stop it from getting to my young child. And then that wasn't really easy...just necessary.

Again, I am sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by