1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duckling Eating bedding

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NikkiCole5, Mar 27, 2015.

1. NikkiCole5

NikkiCole5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2015
    Okay well it really isn't bedding but I didn't know what to put. I use puppy pads and shavings right now since they are still babies. One of the ducklings is eating the filling from the puppy pads instead of it's food and it is making it poop weird, the poop is tan but in little circles, I'll try to get a picture to better show what I mean. I use the pads because it absorbs the water they splash everywhere. I wondering if this is bad or ok? When it poops I'll post the picture. Thanks

2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I can't see how that is good. If you have shabings in there, take out the puppy pads or use towels. To make a water container I used a cool whip container with a hole in the lid and put it inside of a rabbit litter pan with pine horse stall pellets. Then you just have to change the litter pan as needed.

3. NikkiCole5

Mar 4, 2015

I'll have to try but they play in the water they lay done and splash it out with their mouth

4. NikkiCole5

Mar 4, 2015
    Thank you for all these amazing links. Right now the ducklings are in an aquarium inside my house but I do have a large dog bowl that I put the waterer in and it helps but the baby chicks cannot reach inside it lol, so I will need to get something shorter so the chicks can drink to :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by