Duckling egg externally pipped 2 days ago and no more progress

Duckyy

Chirping
May 18, 2020
Hi, I have 2 ducklings eggs that have made pretty big external pip holes about 2 days ago and since then they’ve not made much progress. they’re peeping like crazy and moving but the beaks are outside the shell. They’re very loud but sound as if they are in distress. The other eggs have pipped and hatch whilst they are still stuck in the same way. The membrane of one duckling looks very dark. I’m not sure when to step in and what to do if I do step in. I’ll attach photos below
image.jpg
image.jpg

Great article
Guide to Assisted Hatching for All Poultry

Guide to Assisted Hatching for All Poultry

Preface If you need immediate instructions on how to assist a hatch, you may skip this section and go to the next one, where the instructions are. To start with, I want to address the fact that some people think assisting during a hatch is wrong. I respect the decision to not help during a...

If you assist hatch just break off small pieces of shell slowly and stop if there's any blood. If the blood vessels have receded you are pretty much safe to break off the top half of shell. I don't usually open it the whole way in case they are still absorbing yolk.

Hi, thank you guys for the advice! The holes have only been that big for about a day so I think I’ll give them until Sunday morning to make some progress and then I’ll start to chip away at the shell, if they’re stop peeping or moving I’ll intervene earlier!
ill update if anything changes thank you!!!

Just thought I’d give a little update, I had to help the two with peeling back the shell but unfortunately one of the ducklings seems to have something serious wrong with it. It can’t stand up and his foot is not spreading out and he keeps rolling around :( I got 5 out of 7 of my hatch so far which I’m happy with and thank you for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom