Duckling emergency ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bird_nerd, Nov 14, 2019.

1. bird_nerd

bird_nerd In the Brooder

Oct 5, 2019
    Oregon
    I just received an order of 25 ducklings from Metzer. 3 were doa and 1 just died and is bleeding from the mouth and vent--I went back and checked the doa ducklings and they all have dried blood around their mouths. I called Metzer and they said they have never had this problem and believe it to be caused by the ducklings picking on each other. I am VERY concerned this is duck plague or something equally concerning. Has anyone seen this before?? Thank you!

2. Of course all sellers will respond irresponsibly - they can’t lose face and naturally, “I’m sorry” always makes it better - right? Anyhow, they’ll likely compensate you somehow, but if I was you I wouldn’t indulge and demand your cash and avoid them. Buy local (craigslist) and breed your own. I breed my own (hybrid vigor) with hens and I always have too many and no health issues (free range) and NEVER vaccinate, just keep the area natural and clean. The only issue is predation, but that just happens. Good luck!

bird_nerd likes this.
  3. Lizzy733

Lizzy733 Songster

Nov 13, 2018
    New Zealand
    I would get them warm, hydrated and on electrolytes immediately and monitor from there.
    Apparently, resveratrol can help them battle it off: can be found in grape skins, blueberries, raspberries, mulberries.
    Good luck with getting things under control.

bird_nerd likes this.
  4. bird_nerd

bird_nerd In the Brooder

Oct 5, 2019
    Oregon
    Thank you both for responding. I'm giving them a lot of tlc but have lost 5 so far--I've never had so many perish, so it's really sad. I just hope they're not sick with anything. The hatchery said they haven't been hatching out well so I assume they're just weak, but I suppose it's possible that the box could have been mishandled during shipping. I think I will just ask for a refund rather than replacements and breed my own from here on out. I'll post updates on their condition as time goes by. The remaining ducklings have a nice 6ft stock tank brooder and so far I have chick electrolytes and probiotics in the water and I will try some resveratrol foods as well. They'll remain in quarantine for now. Thank you for the advice!

sourland likes this.
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good luck with the remaining ducklings. For a variety of reasons shipping of ducklings/chicks can provide excessive mortality. Raising your own in the future is a great idea.

bird_nerd likes this.
  6. If any have splay legs (can’t walk) get brewers yeast in their feed (lysine) and tie their ankle together on a slack string so their legs are straight up and down. Check the loops and knots daily to ensure they’re not too loose nor tight - just legs straight up and down.

bird_nerd likes this.
  7. Clean the remaining birds up. Ensure they get grass, forest dirt, brewers yeast, your feed, meat protein and green leafy or fruit table scraps. That’s all they really need cuz that’s what they eat w/o us.

bird_nerd likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: