Duckling eye problem

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RichnSteph, Mar 16, 2015.

1. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    I wasn't sure to post this here or in ailments since its a duckling. Anywho, hubby brought home 3 ducklings to grow for friends for our Cayuga. They were picked by the employee at Tractor Supply and one I noticed had an abnormal eye. The down around it on its face is always wet, like the eye is weepy. I've wiped it and applied neosporin to see if it made a difference a few times if it had a scratch or something acute. However, we are starting to think that there's something physically wrong on the development of this eye. It's progressively getting more bulgy around the eye, unless I wipe it, it doesn't seem to work very well and the eye itself seems small. Any thoughts based on these photos? Thanks a bunch! Steph. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    i would try a vet, its a duckling and it shouldnt be that much money to see it at least in my cases all of my ducklings have gotten a free ride at the vet exceot for the visitation fee but there physicals and stuff were always free.

3. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    i also noticed that he is crested and that could be the cause of some damage as of while most crested ducks dont show too much of a problem there development can be messed up becuase of their brain situation.

4. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas

Thank you so much for that information! We were guessing this is a mallard type, but this is our very first (and last) run with ducklings, so I didn't even recognize what to call his fluff, thank you so much for identifying that for me-I feel like it should've been a duh moment for me but my first question when hubby brought these home was "what's the fluff on the heads of those two?" We didn't have an answer lol. Sadly I'm prepared to make dinner of any one that may be problematic or a drake...which I also couldn't say who is what until someone starts laying. :) I'll check with my vet, I thought of doing so but wanted to check here first as our schedule is packed til Wednesday take the baby in.. my vet has cows, peacocks and quite the farm there at the clinic so I think he could be of great help.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  5. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    do you mean mallard derived or a mallard as in the breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by