1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duckling feed. Help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kynz7, Apr 12, 2016.

1. kynz7

kynz7 New Egg

Feb 21, 2016
    Washinton
    I friend was hatching ducklings, and only one actually hatche. My friend couldnt keep it so i took the duckling. Now i know there is a special duckling feed mix. But i have a bunch of baby chicks. So i just put the duckling in with the chicks. Can ducks eat starter chick food? What does everyone else feed their ducklings?

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Ducks have a niacin deficiency so they need higher amounts than what they can get from chick starter... usually, they need to have Brewers yeast (not the baking kind) or nutritional yeast sprinkled on their food... or niacin tablets crushed and dissolved in their water...

Another option, if you have it available, is Purina Flock Raiser... it is just fine for chicks and ducks alike... I feed it to all of mine from hatch to lay...

3. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Oh, and also the duckling will need a small container of water it can dunk its head into... they have to flush out their nares and eyes... the nares will get clogged otherwise and have difficulty breathing...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by