Duckling feed help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TwinMama2x, Jul 25, 2011.

1. TwinMama2x

TwinMama2x Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Glasgow, Montana
    I have a flock of rouens that hatched six ducklings yesterday. The hen rejected one of the ducklings who was a late hatcher. She attacked it multiple times. We removed him from her and have him inside a brooder in the house. He's 24 hours post-hatching now. I went to get some feed for him and the other ducklings but there is no feed available for him and will take at least a week to get some delivered here. I know he needs to eat so gave him some dry oatmeal. He seems fine with it but I wonder if there is something better I can give him until his feed arrives? We are very very rural and our options are extremely limited. The closest major city is 300 miles away.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Good question!

Here are some of the food suggestions I have seen here and from other sources (they need chick sized grit - or clean coarse sand to be able to properly digest this food):

hard boiled eggs, mashed up fine
    cat kibble (I use it as a feed supplement for adults - but you could moisten it and use it as part of the feed)
    canned sardines (no salt added)
    oatmeal (as you're already doing - I chopped mine up finely at first)
    mashed peas (the fresh-frozen, no salt kind)
    sprouted wheat, buckwheat - chopped
    cooked squash

There is a sticky with duck treats listed that will also probably be helpful.

Since you're in the northern hemisphere where it's warm, some tiny slugs might be yummy. I wouldn't give him anything big that might choke him. I've read that some duckies will in fact choke themselves gorging on treats.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  3. TwinMama2x

TwinMama2x Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Glasgow, Montana
    Thank you!

Frederick (as the kids have dubbed him) is doing great! I did put a feeder of oatmeal and a feeder of cat food in with the hen and the other 5 ducklings along with plenty of water. Frederick seems to really like the oatmeal. My husband smashed a fly and he gobbled it right up! We don't have any slugs here...too dry for them. But I do have some canned cat food and we have an endless supply of other bugs here for him to eat.

[​IMG][/img]

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Good! The bugs contain some niacin, and ducklings need three times more niacin than chicks, I am told.

So making sure he gets some of that in his diet should help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by