Duckling Feeders & Waterer

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CK Chickadilly, Feb 19, 2009.

1. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    What is the best way to feed & water your ducklings?

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Ducklings can use chick feeders and waterers until they are several weeks old. They can use a chick waterer until you notice they can't get their entire bill in it anymore. By that time my ducklings were going outside so they just drank out of their pond after that. If you aren't set up for a pond use a 3 gallon black rubber bowl.

It's been awhile since I had ducklings, but I think they used the chick feeder for quite awhile before they had trouble getting their bills into it, so then I switched to a big black rubber bowl.

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

My set-up was probably not ideal, as they made a bit of mess with the water - but I got one of those dog waterers with the big bottle (about a gallon sized bottle) so they could get their whole head/face down into it when they drank. Problem was, they could also get their whole bodies into it [​IMG]

I also used a regular sized gallon chicken waterer (bigger area to drink from than a chick waterer) and that wasn't as messy.

For food I just used an aluminum pie pan.

This was my first time with ducklings, however, and I'm sure that folks with more experience and better ideas will come in here to give advice.

meri

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Mojo Chick'n :

My set-up was probably not ideal, as they made a bit of mess with the water - but I got one of those dog waterers with the big bottle (about a gallon sized bottle) so they could get their whole head/face down into it when they drank. Problem was, they could also get their whole bodies into it [​IMG]

This is good advice! Always remember that whenever a duck finds water, it will attempt to swim in it!​

5. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:This is good advice! Always remember that whenever a duck finds water, it will attempt to swim in it!

The funny part was the large chicken waterer - when they were about a week old - they would line up around it, with one foot each in the water, and circle around like a carnival game - trying to "swim" in the water [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Mojo Chick'n :

Quote:This is good advice! Always remember that whenever a duck finds water, it will attempt to swim in it!

The funny part was the large chicken waterer - when they were about a week old - they would line up around it, with one foot each in the water, and circle around like a carnival game - trying to "swim" in the water [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] that is hysterical [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by