Duckling feet turned in...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bex1983, Jun 17, 2019.

1. bex1983

bex1983 Songster

May 7, 2019
    So my week old duckling has had what appears to be turned in feet/legs and has since I got him. He is a crested blue Swedish duck. When I had one duckling hatch and the others die during hatch I needed to quickly find same age ducklings locally. I met a lady in the middle and didn’t know that she was bringing me crested ducks, she had just said she has mixes of black and blue Swedish and Cayuga. So though I never would’ve said ok to purchasing a crested duck, I needed these babies for my lone hatchling....so here I am now and it is what it is BUT I don’t know what to do about the feet. He doesn’t walk or stand much unless he has to. But when he walks he gets where he needs to go just fine but his feet seem to step on each other sometimes. He seems to swim ok. I’ve had rooster booster vitamins and electrolytes and the Durvet high level Vitamin B complex in their water since day 1. They are on duck specific starter feed NOT chick feed.... Is there anything I can do about the legs to help them straighten out as he grows?

Attached Files:

Miss Lydia likes this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

That is the cutest little duckling an the crest is small I doubt that has anything to do with the feet and legs. Does the duckling get swim time daily? I’d give the liquid b complex straight over something yummy like peas or mealworms getting the dose without it being watered down.

3. Trimurtisan

Trimurtisan Team flappy foot

May 22, 2019
    A cypress swamp in FL
    I' don't know how to help or answer your duck related question. However, the people you tagged, need to be tagged in the comment section for them to get the notification.

@Miss Lydia @casportpony @DuckyDonna @WVduckchick

The "Tag" section when creating a new thread is for searches. IE: My thread has my "Trim, Trimurtisan, Black Runner, Ancona"...ect, ect That way when people do a general search for say, Ancona, my page will show up.

Hopefully your little one will get the help it needs. It sure is cute!

WVduckchick and bex1983 like this.
  4. katiebrock

katiebrock Songster

Apr 7, 2019
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    Not relevant, but is that shelf liner? My babies LOVE to sit on some shelf liner.

bex1983 likes this.
  5. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    mine love it too. It's weird. They have nice clean shavings in their brooder pool and they lay up on the shelf liner!

Trimurtisan likes this.
  6. bex1983

bex1983 Songster

May 7, 2019
    Thank you! I had no idea!!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Trimurtisan likes this.
  7. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    Did you see @Miss Lydia 's post to you? that's exactly what you need to do to start with! I can't add anything more than that.

WVduckchick, Trimurtisan and bex1983 like this.
  8. bex1983

bex1983 Songster

May 7, 2019
    Thank you, that makes me feel better knowing it is small, the other duck she brought me also has a crest but it is so small it is hardly noticeable.

I just started swim time today with them, but he/she will now be getting it daily a time or two a day. I will do the crushed up peas/meal worms with the Durvet over just that and see if he will eat it all. I tried that when I first got him by making his food a little mashy with it, but he didn't eat a ton when I did that.

WVduckchick and Trimurtisan like this.
  9. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    I think that if you take a very small dish and drip the b-complex over meal worms just for him he will gobble it all up in no time!

10. bex1983

bex1983 Songster

May 7, 2019
    Yes! Love the ease of shelf liner in the brooder :)

WVduckchick and Trimurtisan like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: