Duckling Food and Niacin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Enigmius, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Enigmius

Enigmius Songster

Jan 5, 2018
    Mansfield, Tx
    OK. So my runner ducklings are arriving from Metzerfarm on the 27th.
    I've been going to feed stores and calling around for the Manna Pro Duck starter/grower. No one seems to carry it down here in the DFW area of Texas, but they carry Manna Pro's Gamerbird/Showbird. I went ahead and bought that. The only problem is that the protein is a little higher(24%) than what is suggested for ducks(21%).

I've read in the forum somewhere that rolled oats can be added to decrease the % or protein, and I used the the Metzer calculator to know how much rolled oats to add to bring that down.

Q1: I need to do anything with the oats before adding it? Do they need to be ground-up before being weighed then added?

Q2: I'm looking over the Mana Pro Gamebird/Showbird and I don't see anything about niacin. I'm assuming that means it needs to be added, correct?

2. Enigmius

Enigmius Songster

Jan 5, 2018
    Mansfield, Tx
    7D0006AC-13E4-48F9-A0C1-26246E262C61.jpeg

Attached Files:

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Can you take the bag back and get some Purina Flock Raiser instead?

Shannonw1228 and sylviethecochin like this.
  4. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    What we need is the analysis tag in the upper left corner. Niacin is also known as B3 (which I see) and it needs to be at least 55 ppm.

EDT: Never mind. Just looked it up on the TSC site. You're right, there is no detailed analysis.

casportpony likes this.
  5. casportpony

It probably has enough niacin because turkeys and gamebirds need more niacin that ducks. I worry about adding oats because doing that will reduce the niacin and other key minerals and vitamins.

6. Enigmius

Enigmius Songster

Jan 5, 2018
    Mansfield, Tx
    I still have the receipt from Atwood’s, I’ll check if they at least have that brand.

7. casportpony

If they don't, and you can't return it, I would just feed it. Yeah, the protein is a little higher than ideal, but it should be fine (I feed all of mine 27% turkey starter).

Enigmius likes this.
  8. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Enigmius likes this.
  9. casportpony

Enigmius likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: