Duckling food - vaccinations?- adding new ducklings to my group adivce

andreacroyle

Songster
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Florida
1. I am new to ducks and having a really hard time finding reasonable priced food. I dont mind paying for good quality food. I have two ducks and dont want to buy a huge quantity. There is nothing available in this area. My adult drake and duckling are going to be pets.
Can someone please give me a link or tell me what a good brand for my ducks are that I can order. It seems to be very complicated finding the right brand with the right ratios.

2. Does anyone get there pet ducks vaccinated? I acquired these two ducks by rescuing them. I would like to get two more ducks so they wont be lonely but I keep reading that introducing ducks needs to be done with caution because the new ducklings can transmit sicknesses. How does anyone else introduce new ducks into a urban pet duck setting without bringing home a sickness? (I know with dogs, you vaccinate them so they cant catch the major transmittable illnesses)

How can I ensure that I dont buy a duckling that is sick? I dont have the room to keep them separate for a month is there a different way?

3. I read on a different post that there is a area on this site that I might be able to see if anyone on my area is selling ducklings, but I cant find it.

Note* I have the story duckling guide on order.

1. I am new to ducks and having a really hard time finding reasonable priced food. I dont mind paying for good quality food. I have two ducks and dont want to buy a huge quantity. There is nothing available in this area. My adult drake and duckling are going to be pets.
Can someone please give me a link or tell me what a good brand for my ducks are that I can order. It seems to be very complicated finding the right brand with the right ratios.

2. Does anyone get there pet ducks vaccinated? I acquired these two ducks by rescuing them. I would like to get two more ducks so they wont be lonely but I keep reading that introducing ducks needs to be done with caution because the new ducklings can transmit sicknesses. How does anyone else introduce new ducks into a urban pet duck setting without bringing home a sickness? (I know with dogs, you vaccinate them so they cant catch the major transmittable illnesses)

How can I ensure that I dont buy a duckling that is sick? I dont have the room to keep them separate for a month is there a different way?

3. I read on a different post that there is a area on this site that I might be able to see if anyone on my area is selling ducklings, but I cant find it.

Note* I have the story duckling guide on order.
Hi, I was out or outdoors most of the day - - -

I am wondering if you might find someone else with ducks in the area you could split a bag of food with. Another thought is, do you have access to a good sized freezer? You could get some food grade 3 gallon buckets and about three of them should hold a standard sized bag of food - put two in the freezer.

I use Blue Seal Organic layer pellets. There are other reputable sources.

There are a few vaccines for ducklings for some of the most serious, contagious diseases, but I did not have mine vaccinated, and I don't think many people do.

You are right to be aware that new ducklings can bring illness in. Someone I know who has a waterfowl rescue organization puts new ducks in quarantine for some number of weeks, and sends a fecal sample to the vet to check for diseases and parasites.

I would be more concerned with rescues than with ducklings from a reputable breeder, but that is not a guarantee that breeder stock would have absolutely no risk of carrying illness.

And with the difference in size, I would keep the ducklings side by side but separated by a plastic poultry fence. That way they could see each other but not hurt each other. And I would do this after the quarantine period.

Introducktions take time. First let them see each other a lot, then let them be together under close supervision several times till you feel they are getting along well. Some chasing, sumo wrestling and poking is normal. More aggressive than that, I would separate them and try again. Giving treats to everyone at the same time seems to help a little bit.

There is a Where Am I Where Are You forum, and a Buy Sell Trade forum.

At the top of this page find Forum Nav. To the right it will say "Ducks." Click on the up-down arrow button to see the entire list of forums on BYC and you can find those other forums.

Welcome (c:

Back
Top Bottom