Duckling found at work

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dakatw, Jun 21, 2016.

1. dakatw

dakatw New Egg

Jun 21, 2016
    Hello! I have been a lurker of this site for awhile. I currently have 10 chickens and two guineas who are happy and healthy thanks to byc! However, last night at work, my manager brought me this tiny duckling. We searched for the mama but couldn't find her so I took the duckling home. I know nothing about ducklings! I've been treating it like a chick, starter food, water, brooder with a heat lamp, etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated! [​IMG]

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

okay, for the duck's feed make sure it's NOT medicated, as medicated chick feed is calculated on the amount the chick will eat and ducks eat way more than chicks. for the lamp just treat it like a chick, if it's too close move the lamp, ect. the duck will splash water all over the brooder so clean it regularly, and don't be tempted to get water nipples as it's only source of water, ducks need to be able to dunk their heads under water to clean their eyes, you could do the water nipples if you give him SUPERVISED water time (young ducklings can swim but at that age they can get waterlogged and drown). good luck!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Here is a summary of duckling care.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

I am wondering if you might be better off, soon, contacting a watefowl rehabilitator. That cutie looks like a wood duckling, and those are a bit different from the domestics . . . there is also a migratory bird act that restricts possession of migratory birds including waterfowl. Just so you know, you can decide how to proceed.

If crumble or moistened crumble doesn't appeal to the little, I'd try live worms or meal worms.

4. dakatw

dakatw New Egg

Jun 21, 2016
    We have tried to contact a couple wildlife rehabilitators here in KY. We are waiting for a call back. From the one we did talk to, we haven't broken the law since the duck was found in a Lowes in an industrial area. I found duckking crumble and meal worms and he/she loves it! Now, it's extremely playful and certainly keeps me on my toes!

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Good for you all around!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by