Duckling found

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bustnova, Dec 18, 2009.

1. bustnova

bustnova Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    Mesquite, TX
    A coworker of mine found a duckling next to a dead sibling and no mother around. I want to know if I take it to the pond near where it was found - would it have a chance of survival? It seems very healthy and strong. As you can see in the first picture there is a yellow pointed spot on end of beak. I think this baby is very young. I have chickens but never have had a duck and I want it to survive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    I doubt it would survive, best to keep it until it's bigger.

3. bustnova

Jun 9, 2008
    Mesquite, TX
    What do I feed it? I have chickens but have never had a duck.

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    It looks like a call duck of some sort... Go ahead and mush up some chicken feed (crumbles or pellets) in some water. Get her some water to keep with it. That should keep her going for awhile.

(I just used chick feed for my ducklings!)

5. bustnova

Jun 9, 2008
    Mesquite, TX
    Okay I live in Mesquite, TX and I cannot keep my chickens at home - they are at the ranch where I board my horses - so I don't know how long I can keep a duck at home.

6. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

No, it will not survive without mom. If you could find a duck hen at the pond w/brand new ducklings then you may have some chance of reintroducing it as it could have gotten separated fm mom and the rest of it's siblings. Otherwise, you need to find it a new home or keep it. Looks like it could be a cute little Muscovy duckling, newly hatched out since it still has its egg tooth. Cute!!!!! Look at those big'ol feet! [​IMG]

7. chickygirl2

chickygirl2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    upper marlboro. md
    Why not place a craigslist ad? I am sure someone will take it that can have ducks...............

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    If you could find a duck hen at the pond w/brand new ducklings then you may have some chance of reintroducing it as it could have gotten separated fm mom and the rest of it's siblings.

No, most likely mom would attack the "stranger".​

9. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    Most cities/counties/states have laws against keeping wildlife without a permit even if you plan on releasing the animal later.

I did a quick search and it looks like your town has a city ordinance against it:
    http://www.cityofmesquite.com/animal/city_ordinance.php

Probably not a big deal taking care of a duck until it's old enough to fend for itself, but just be aware that they can fine you for it. Looks like your town's animal control handles wildlife too:
    http://www.cityofmesquite.com/animal/services_provided.php

The duckling is likely to think it's a person if it's not raise with other ducks which would be detrimental when released to the wild. If you keep it for a while, in the very least give it a mirror so it knows that it's a duck (ducks bond to what they think are parents as well as siblings - it'll think that the reflection is a sibling)

10. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    I'm just south of Fort Worth and I love duckies. I'll take it if you don't want it. Just PM me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by