Duckling gender?

Mia's ducks

Hatching
Jun 16, 2017
So i have five Mallard ducklings and they are all developing brown and black feathers on their wings, tail, and stomach. Not sure if it's too soon to tell or not but judging by the pigment of the feathers they look like females so far.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    717 KB · Views: 7

Pyxis

Hatchi Wan Kenobi
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
All mallards start off looking female and then the males molt into nuptial colors later. The earliest way you're going to be able to tell their genders will be from their voices. Females will have a loud and braying quack while males will be low and raspy.

Last edited:

Pyxis

Hatchi Wan Kenobi
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
Mallard Drakes will still have the classic green tint to their heads even before the juvenile molt...Once feathers come in after the down is replaced.....White collars too...

Mine didn't. I guess I'll have to see if I can dig up his pictures from before the juvenile molt.

Pyxis

Hatchi Wan Kenobi
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
Haven't found him yet and might have to wait until I'm home to get out my old camera card, but here, this is what I mean:

mallards.jpg

See the colors of the juvenile male? Just like a female. Males only have green heads and collars after molting into nuptial (breeding) plumage. They in fact don't have them most of the year while they're in eclipse plumage even as adults.

Last edited:

Ravynscroft

For the Love of Duck
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Nov 30, 2014
Middle Tennessee
Agree with Pyxis... just an added FYI, juveniles can sometimes look like they have a green 'sheen' or shine to the feathers on their heads before their adult molt... that sheen/shine is NOT and indicator of gender... my Crash had it as a juvie and she is a 2 year old DEFINITE female... ;)

Top Bottom