Duckling/Gosling Imprinting

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by orpingtonbabies, Jul 19, 2011.

1. orpingtonbabies

orpingtonbabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    I've heard a little about the concept as my aunt had a room mate in college that raised one baby duck that would follow her to class if she let it. [​IMG] Anyway I just read somewhere that it is not exactly imprinting on an individual as much as on a species (either duck/goose or human) then later it is a specific animal/person that becomes mom/dad... And that if raised with other goose or duck "siblings" the goose or duck will also imprint on them and be 1/2 human 1/2 goose/duck... But, I don't often trust websites besides BYC because there are different mixed theories and I'm never sure so i thought I'd ask everyone here to elaborate? I'm thinking of doing a little experiment with broody-hen-hatched babies vs. incubator-and-me hatched babies and since we're planning on making a pond, i thought it would be a perfect opportunity to get some eggs from my friend!
    Anyways!
    Thanks!!!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I've never had a imprinted duck but I have had a few imprinted Geese. I always raise in pairs so they can imprint on other Geese as well. They still follow me around all around the yard but they do understand that they are geese as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by