Duckling Grower Feed?

dude with the ducks

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2017
I was wondering what would happen if I used 22% starter/grower feed for the first 7 weeks with my ducklings? I know your "supposed" to feed 22% for first 2 weeks and then 17% until they start laying. Or what would happen if I used a "layer" crumble that is 17% from weeks 3-first egg? I know that this is all not recommended but I was wondering if anybody knows what ACTUALLY happens to ducklings in their experience if they eat a layer crumble or high protein starter after the first 2 critical weeks? Thanks.

sylviethecochin

Free Ranging
Jun 14, 2017
Central PA
Layer has calcium. Calcium, especially combined with high protein, can mess up kidneys. High protein by itself is not usually much of a problem. I usually just feed chick crumble (18-20%) and put a waterer with some vitamin B in it next to the feeder.

BjaJra826

Songster
Mar 12, 2019
Iowa
My ducks absolutly love green cabbage. I hang it in the run for them as a treat/boredom buster. I currently feed them a mix of 18% layer feed and 20% mixed flock feed. I used to add scratch grains but with the winter approaching I decided to take it out to reduce waste. That said, my ducks only started on a layer feed a month ago. Prior to that it was an 18% chick feed.

Miss Lydia

Loving this country life
Premium member
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
All flock is perfect for feeding from hatch to time to leave this world . Purina Flock Raiser is one. Has all the necessary nutrients that ducklings need including niacin.

PirateGirl

Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist
Premium member
Mar 11, 2017
South Park, Colorado, USA
I would get whatever oats your feed store carries, you may not have a choice. Ducks are generally good eaters in my experience and won't care if they are whole or rolled or crimped.