1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duckling growth questions...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chicks Galore3, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I got 3 ducklings from TSC about a week and a half ago. They are SO cute! [​IMG] I had my first ducklings last year, (1 pekin 5 buffs) but they all turned out to be males sooo I had to give them all away! :( My new ducklings (Piper, Percy and Parsnip) are growing so stinkin' fast! Even though I have had ducklings before, I have forgotten some things. At what age will they grow in their curly tail feather if they are males? Also, is there any way to tell/guess their gender before that? (How big they are, the size of their legs, ect.) What age do they really start growing their feathers in? (AKA when will I be able to guess their breed?) I'm thinking I have a pekin and maybe two buffs...

2. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Drake feathers come in at about 5-6 months. They start quacking or rasping (depending on sex) at about 4-6 weeks.

The feathering depends on a few different factors. Mine were almost fully feathered at 3 weeks but they had access to swimming water on day three. I read that letting them swim at an earlier age stimulates feather growth.

1 person likes this.
  3. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Thank you! Wow, mine are 2 1/2 weeks old and don't have many feathers. They have swam once, and am planning on taking them swimming again today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by