Duckling growth questions...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chicks Galore3, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I got 3 ducklings from TSC about a week and a half ago. They are SO cute! [​IMG] I had my first ducklings last year, (1 pekin 5 buffs) but they all turned out to be males sooo I had to give them all away! :( My new ducklings (Piper, Percy and Parsnip) are growing so stinkin' fast! Even though I have had ducklings before, I have forgotten some things. At what age will they grow in their curly tail feather if they are males? Also, is there any way to tell/guess their gender before that? (How big they are, the size of their legs, ect.) What age do they really start growing their feathers in? (AKA when will I be able to guess their breed?) I'm thinking I have a pekin and maybe two buffs...

2. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Drake feathers come in at about 5-6 months. They start quacking or rasping (depending on sex) at about 4-6 weeks.

The feathering depends on a few different factors. Mine were almost fully feathered at 3 weeks but they had access to swimming water on day three. I read that letting them swim at an earlier age stimulates feather growth.

1 person likes this.
  3. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Thank you! Wow, mine are 2 1/2 weeks old and don't have many feathers. They have swam once, and am planning on taking them swimming again today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by