duckling has a blocked nostril

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ducker123, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Ducker123

Ducker123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    GB
    my duckling seems to have something stuck in her nostil, she is snorting in the water to try and get it out and i have tryed to wipe it with a cotton bud but it seems stuck it is affecting her breathing also, what should i do?

2. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Give her a deep bowl of water, deep enough for her whole head to go under or at least her whole bill, to see if she can blow it out. If she can't I don't know what to tell you. Sorry. Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  3. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    She should beable to blow it out soon. Do u have a kiddie pool or something they can swim in? or put her in the bath tub, that should work too.

4. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    You could try one of those things you use to clear out a baby's nose. A nasal aspirator... it sucks it out... not sure if it would work for a duckling... I've never tried it. I would try the swim first and use this as a last resort.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  5. Ducker123

Ducker123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    GB
    av just had her in the bath and she blows out through her nose in the water but it doesnt seem to come out

6. Oddyse

Oddyse Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Bristol
    Ah , the old famous "duck gets something stuck in their nostril" trick. One im very familiar with! But have no fear, I AM HERE! [​IMG] I had the same thing a few times, it usually comes from not having water deep enough for them to keep the nostril clear, its usually because they are too young for deep water yet. 9 times out of 10 the duck will sort it out themselves if they have deep enough water for a long enough time OR you could do what I did. Put your ducky in the bath, deep enough for the duck to submerge its whole head, and get a tooth pick, blunt the end a little so its not going to hurt if the duck decides to panic, and gentle just dislodge the stuck item , usually duck food! Even if you dont seem to get it out, let the duck play about in the water for a bit longer and it should then clear. I have done this a few times now! My ducks would get semi wet food stuck and it would dry. But the technique I described above would definitely work! Good luck! Let me know how you get on! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by