Duckling has bad leg..?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SnapHappii, Apr 5, 2009.

1. SnapHappii

SnapHappii Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    A new Pekin Duckling hatched last night in my incubator and his leg is a little deformed. It's the part where the webbing is actually, it curls up. My mom said we can try to do a splint type thing but it didn't work when we had chickens so she doubts it'll work now. It looks like the egg shell actually wore down during hatching, because it's all red, etc. I put some Betadine on a Q-tip and dabbed some on to the area, to kill any germs[because there was some poopish stuff in it]

Is there anything I can do? I don't think this little duckling is going to survive..

[​IMG]

2. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    [​IMG] sorry

3. gervais22

gervais22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Ontario
    if you got any other ducklings, separate him and just keep on eye on his foot and watch for infection and just make him comfortable as possible

4. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I had a little call duck hatch like that last year and I thought for sure she'd die.

Nope, that little girl is going strong. She gets around like all the rest and even has herself a boyfriend! She has a little club foot, in fact it turns almost all the way backwards. She flies, jumps, swims, and does everything else the others do.

We call her Forrest. In fact, she's really the only bird that gets called by her name. Little Forrest. [​IMG]

5. gervais22

gervais22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Ontario
    you gotta be careful because if he goes swimming he will only go round in circles [​IMG]

6. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    [​IMG]

7. SnapHappii

Mar 14, 2009
    2 more ducklings hatched and they have the same thing. Is this my fault[maybe the temperature created a deformity..?] or is it from the parents?

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I think it is an incubator thing. Maybe temp or humidity issue. One of my ducks has a messed up foot. It's half sibling hatched a month ago is fine. It's brooder mate (also a half sibling) had messed up feet for a day or so but now they look normal.

9. SnapHappii

Mar 14, 2009
    Eek.. Well I hope their feet go to normal. They can barely get around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by