Duckling has trouble walking??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by delilah333, Aug 20, 2014.

1. delilah333

delilah333 New Egg

Jun 17, 2014
    I have two Pekin ducklings that are 15 days old. A few days ago we started to notice that one of them seems to have trouble walking. She is sitting down at every chance she gets and sometimes she just scootches herself along instead of standing up and walking. Also, when we took them outside it was very obvious that she was walking differently than the other duckling. She seems to wobble back and forth a lot more and her legs are further apart when she walks. She is also a lot slower. Something else that I've noticed that she does it that her mouth always seems to be open (almost like she is panting...but it isn't hot). And she always makes this "cooing" noise, which sort of sounds like a very faint whistle. I'm sure these don't have anything to do with her walking, just thought I'd mention it. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Welcome to BYC... it sounds like your duckling may have a niacin deficiency it happens quite often with ducklings that are fed a chick feed, and that's what most of us have to feed our ducks/goslings so it really isn't anything you have done and may only affect 1 duckling out of quite a few. So get some plain niacin which means not flush free about 100-150 megs and crush the tablet up. mix real good into a gallon of water then put into what ever your using to give your ducklings their water. It won't hurt for both the ducklings to have this either. you can also use brewers yeast[ not baking] but since the duckling is showing such symptoms i'd go with the niacin supplement first and then switch to BY is you want to, you'll need to give this for 10-12 weeks while they are growing so fast.. I have read of other people with Pekin duckling opening their mouths like panting, no sure what this means. Is hse acting okay other than her walking? eating good? it maybe just a Pekin thing. anyway get the niacin asap because this can lead to very serious trouble. and please keep us updated on how the lil one is doing..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ies-in-goslings-ducklings-growth-leg-problems

3. delilah333

delilah333 New Egg

Jun 17, 2014
    Thanks so much! I researched a ton about niacin and I've started using it as you recommended. She eats and drinks normally and she has been growing at the same rate as the other duckling. She is very friendly and active so I'm hoping that she is going to be okay!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I hope so too, usually within a week of starting the niacin they have noticeable improvement . please keep us updated..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by