Duckling hatch help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Georgiegirl74, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Georgiegirl74

Georgiegirl74 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2015
    Bedfordshire, England
    Is this duckling going to be able to zip out of its shell if it's beak is so far out??[​IMG]
    She had been externally pipped small hole for 24 hours and the membrane had stuck to her beak and she couldn't move [​IMG] I helped her get unstuck and then put her back in the incubator. The humidity is high and I moistened the membrane with water gently.
    This is my very first duckling [​IMG] So I'm a little anxious

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    How long has it been since you helped her get unstuck?

Do you see any red blood vessels in the inner membrane (the clear membrane that is right under the thicker white membrane)? In my experience, when they get their bills out like that they won't be able to finish zipping on their own, but you'll want to give her 24 hours from the time you helped to see if she can finish on her own. She might surprise you. You don't want to help her out too soon because hatching is a very precise process. They will not hatch out until they have fully absorbed their yolk sac. You'll know when that step is complete because there will no longer be red blood vessels filled with blood in that clear inner membrane that surrounds the duckling. Also, you might be able to look inside that opening and see if you see yolk or those red blood vessels in the membrane with a flashlight. Only do that when you're already opening the incubator to add water or moisten the membrane, you don't want to open it too often and lose all your humidity. That'll just dry out her membrane again and it'll stick to her, making it impossible for her to hatch out on her own.

Have you read through this thread?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

It's very informative and describes exactly when and IF you should help a duckling hatch. There is alot of information there, just read through it and relax in the meantime. Hatching is a slow process, so don't freak out and help too quickly or too soon. Ducklings typically take a couple of days to hatch out once the hatching process has started, so there is no rush to help right this moment. It's always best if they can do it themselves, of course, but sometimes they do need a little help from us. It should always be a last resort, though.

Good luck and please keep us updated! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Georgiegirl74

Oct 17, 2015
    Bedfordshire, England
    She is nibbling away with her bill (as if she was nibbling at the shell) but she's doing it in mid air and getting nowhere! I helped her 1 1/2 hours ago.
    She has been externally pipped for 24h

4. Orca5094

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Ok, give her some more time and read through that link in case you need to help more later. They will typically externally pip, then rest for about 24 hours before they start to "unzip". Unzipping can also take another 24 hours, so you have some time. Just keep an eye on that membrane that it doesn't get dried onto her again. Keep your humidity up as much as you can to help with that. :)

Oh, and let me know about those blood vessels in the membrane next time you get in there (and also if you can peek in and see any sign of a yolk sac still in there with the duckling). If the yolk sac isn't fully absorbed into her body yet, she is not ready and should not be helped out until that process is completed.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  5. Georgiegirl74

Oct 17, 2015
    Bedfordshire, England
    Thank you so much orca5094 really helps knowing I'm being backed up [​IMG]
    Ok so when I took the crusted hard membrane off her bill, I peeled away a little bit of the egg carefully and there was a blood filled vessel so I stopped immediately- no blood loss thank goodness
    Poor thing, she just looks like she is getting nowhere! I took a short video but you can only post photos on here by the looks of things.

6. Georgiegirl74

Oct 17, 2015
    Bedfordshire, England
    [​IMG]

7. Georgiegirl74

Oct 17, 2015
    Bedfordshire, England
    [​IMG]

The inner membrane (IM) is stuck to the side of her bill, it's all sticky & tacky

8. Orca5094

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Ok, just keep the membrane moist as best you can and wait for those blood vessels to dry up and disappear (they will eventually look like very very fine pinkish hairs when they are empty). At that point she will be ready to hatch out and you can help her out some more. Until then, it's best for her to stay in her egg like this so she can finish absorbing the yolk and blood from those membrane vessels.

Also, you're clearly already doing this as I can see in your pics, but make sure her bill and the opening is always up in the air like that so she doesn't get any of the fluid from inside the egg into her bill. They can drown that way, but the position she is in in your pics is perfect. ;) And of course be careful when wetting the membrane that you don't get any water into her bill. I use wet q-tips to add moisture to membranes when needed.

I had a girl in the same position as yours, big hole with bill stuck out like that last year. Mine was also upside down and hatching out of the small end of her egg, so she was in a bit of a pickle. I did very slowly help her hatch over a 36 hour period and she made it! She is the duckling in my avatar and is now a little over a year old. My favorite duck ever! These situations can be very delicate and stressful, but sometimes they turn out ok. Sometimes they don't though, so you always have to be prepared for something to go wrong. Just keep a positive attitude and we can try to help you through this. ^-^

1 person likes this.
  9. Georgiegirl74

Oct 17, 2015
    Bedfordshire, England
    Thank you Orca5094 - very stressful!!
    I for so reason have two posts going!
    Sorry if it's confusing.
    Ok so yes she definitely has red blood vessels in the inner membrane so I'm now going to let her be after taking away the sticky membrane from her bill.
    How long will it take for the blood vessels to absorb?

10. Orca5094

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Believe me, I know! It's very nerve-wracking and you're always second-guessing yourself if you are doing the right thing or not. Just step back and take a breath, she needs more time to rest and finish absorbing now anyway. There is no rush at all and you are doing everything you can for her already. She just needs time at this point.

The blood vessels and yolk sac should fully absorb in the next 24 hours, so just keep an eye on that so you know when you can help her out a little more if she's still stuck like this by then.

Sorry, I keep forgetting to answer some of your questions and editing my posts, but hopefully you've seen all the information now. I haven't seen your other thread, so I'll just stick to this one. Is it in the incubation/hatching forum maybe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by