Duckling Hatch Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by boxermizer, Jun 13, 2019.

1. boxermizer

boxermizer In the Brooder

Aug 4, 2016
    I have a duck egg that a momma (bantam chicken, don't ask, same thing last year, duck eggs hatched fine and one this year so far) has been sitting on (along with some chicken eggs). I noticed this morning that there was a hole in the end of the duck egg shell, but not in the membrane. I can occasionally see some movement, so it seems to be alive. The chicken doesn't seem to be sitting on them as well as she had been, but I've got one chick hatching right now, so it must be warm enough (its been consistently in the 70-80s here for several weeks). It seems weird to me that the membrane hasn't been broken. Any idea what this means? Should I be helping this duckling hatch? Should I just apply a couple drops of warm water to the membrane to keep it moist? Should I turn on a heat lamp to keep it warm enough? I currently have the chicken and eggs (including the chick that is currently hatching) in a portable dog kennel in our shop, so its not in the sun. Its warm, but not super warm in there. Just an FYI, the chick seemed to be moving slow and the membrane seemed dried so I put a couple drops of water on it and broke away a little shell and membrane and put it back with mom. But this one's beak had come through a ways. After a while the chicken started helping it. I had turned on the heat lamp, but keep wavering on whether it should be on or not, so turned it off for a while, but I moved the eggs closer to mom hoping to protect them from drying out and turned the heat lamp back on. When I last looked it hadn't completely hatched yet, but I don't know when it started and I know it can take a while. I've never helped in the past.

2. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    I use coconut oil instead of water if the membrane looks dry. You are doing great! I wish I had more advice for you but use your head and you will be fine.

DuckyDonna likes this.
  3. boxermizer

Aug 4, 2016
    Ah, thank you. A little while ago I was sure he was still breathing in there, but I'm not sure I see it anymore. I've been concerned because the water dries out so soon. I'll try some coconut oil just in case he's still alive in there. Thank you!

DuckyDonna likes this.
  4. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    He probably is just resting. Hatching can take 48 hours. They work then rest. Hang in there, you are doing great!

boxermizer likes this.
  5. boxermizer

Aug 4, 2016
    Upon closer inspection, I don't think he's fully developed. I put the coconut oil on the membrane and put a piece of duck shell (from breakfast) over it to help keep it moist and put it in a box under a heat lamp with the chick that is struggling. This chicken had been sitting on her eggs well, then one hatched so I moved them all so they'd be safer and those that are hatching or trying to are just not doing as well as any other chicks or ducklings my chickens have hatched.

6. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    They may not be ready yet. When they hear others chirping they rush to hatch. Give them time and be careful they don’t get too hot. You may also want to post on the hatching forum. There are people on there with even more experience.

boxermizer likes this.
  7. boxermizer

Aug 4, 2016
    It didn't make it. Neither did the chick that hatched yesterday. I think the mom was off the eggs too much because one baby had hatched a week or so ago. I thought letting the birds hatch would be easier and better, but its been a mess the last couple of years. Last year I got a couple ducklings, this year 2 chicks and 1 duckling so far. I still have 2 hens sitting and one should be on a good batch of eggs. However, I already have plans for better success next year. I implemented some this year, but it apparently wasn't enough.

8. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Definitely Momma went into raising mode and all eggs should be set at the same time or the staggered hatches won't work with Broody Hens..

9. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    So sorry! :hugs

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: