Duckling hatched with crooked neck!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckey1650, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Duckey1650

Duckey1650 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Hello fellow bird lovers! My name is Brittiany, and my mother told me about this page. I had to check it out and see if I could get some help. I just started last summer, with my mother, raising chickens and ducks. I had a duckling hatch this morning with a crooked neck. She looks straight up in the air and sometimes she will look so hard she will knock herself over. she seams to be having trouble staying on her feet. She does not look to the side, just up. She will take a bite or a drink and then forcefully throw her head back as if she can't keep it straight. I read about "star gazing" but I'm not thinking that is what it is; she does not seam like she can get a break. I looks like it takes some effort to keep he head down. I have read through the posts of other people with similar problems, but none seamed to be quite the same. She did not "develop" this, she was born with this. I do not want to cull her. Any one have any suggestions on what this may be, or what I can do? I will try to post pictures, I hope they work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hi I can't help you with your ducklings neck problem but there are alot of people on this thread that have great experience with all manner of problems so be patient and I'm sure someone will be along to help. I just wanted to say.. [​IMG]

3. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    I have one that hatched that way and is now 3 months old and seems to being fine.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:wonder if some vitamins would help, did you do anything for your duckling?

5. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Poly-vi-sol without iron given tip of bill a couple times a day and brewer's yeast sprinkled on food. Takes about a 5-7 days till you notice a change, but it does work. We rescued a duckling from TSC like this. Named her Pisa. Now you can't tell her from the other ducks.
    OOPs went back and looked at my thread of when my duckling had this and it was nearly 2 weeks before I saw great improvement.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:sure would be worth a try, poor little thing, also if you have a problem finding poly-vi-solw/o iron which you shouldn't, you could get save a chick . but i think the poly would be better.

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Wry neck or a thiamine deficiency is what I would say are the most likely causes. Vitamin therapy will work to help either conditions.

8. Duckey1650

Duckey1650 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    i don't have any poly-vi-sol on hand, and i havn't been able to find poly-vi-sol without iron. would it hurt to give the iron, or should i keep looking?

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I agree.

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Have you tried WalMart?

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by