Duckling hatching help

REF

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2021
We have duckling eggs that weren’t supposed to hatch until later this week according to the farmer’s estimate of when they were laid. Well one pipped over 48 hours ago and seems to be stuck. Our conditions were not optimal because I didn’t think we were so close to hatch. (Turner was still on, hadn’t upped humidity/ gone into lockdown). Question: once they externally pip, they are close to being ready, right? They would externally pip and then need 4-5 more days? We helped removed the outer membrane last night but it hasn’t progressed much overnight. I added humidity and the inner membrane looks moist but he doesn’t appear to be making any effort to push himself out. Do I continue to intervene? There are some red veins but can’t tell what stage they are in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 32
Keep the humidity up and let them try to hatch on their own. From external pip to hatch can be different for each. A couple hours to not likely more than 2 days, but red veins are a sign that it is not ready. A hatching date is determined by time under heat. Not by the day it is laid.

I would leave it be for now, we hatch ducks regularly and I have had 2 get stuck, I left them overnight but had to assist the next day. If there are red veins it has likely not absorbed the blood and all the yolk, patience and hopefully it all turns out okay.

Keep the humidity up and let them try to hatch on their own. From external pip to hatch can be different for each. A couple hours to not likely more than 2 days, but red veins are a sign that it is not ready. A hatching date is determined by time under heat. Not by the day it is laid.
Thank you! He eventually hatched a few hours ago! Phew! It was about a 55/56 hour hatch!!! Now I have one who pipped on the wrong end about 36 hours ago. Should I assist? The eggs were in an incubator for some amount of time before we got them. We thought it was between 2-6 days but seems more like between 7-10 days •.

I would leave it be for now, we hatch ducks regularly and I have had 2 get stuck, I left them overnight but had to assist the next day. If there are red veins it has likely not absorbed the blood and all the yolk, patience and hopefully it all turns out okay.
He hatched a few hours ago! A 55/56 hour hatch!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom