Duckling Head Wound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mbphotos09, May 22, 2019.

1. mbphotos09

mbphotos09 Songster

Apr 14, 2015
    Watching Chicken TV...
    One of my 5-week-old ducklings has somehow got 2 puncture wounds on her head! She has a small crest and the injuries are right next to/under the crest feathers. I’m not sure how it happened but my guess would be she might have got caught on some loose chicken wire that I haven’t covered with duct tape. I feel so bad... It doesn’t seem to be bothering her much though, she’s eating, drinking, and cleaning herself but she’s not as vocal.
    Here’s a couple pics of it. Any advice on what to do from here? Should I clean it out?
    08FD883D-FF85-4054-A595-EBF0D09B9E70.jpeg 9ACFB078-508D-44B9-96EC-A3E62E46D2F8.jpeg
    BFC5A879-3524-4CBA-AB4B-6BA0B27D7052.jpeg
    Thank you in advance!!

Attached Files:

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'd be tempted to apply antibiotic ointment, make sure the chickens are not pecking at it, and be on guard for fly strike. Good luck for a rapid resolution.

chickens really likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Do you have Chickens with it or adult Ducks? Trauma to a crested Ducks crest can cause brain damage because the skull isn't closed.

4. mbphotos09

mbphotos09 Songster

Apr 14, 2015
    Watching Chicken TV...
    Thank you! I cleaned it with just a wet cloth last night so I’ll put some ointment on it now. As for keeping the chickens from pecking it, I don’t have any Blue-Kote to spray on it but I have some Apple Bitter Spray that I use for my dogs. Would that work, or no?

5. chickens really

No..Blue kote actually won't deter them from pecking. Separate the Duckling now.

6. mbphotos09

mbphotos09 Songster

Apr 14, 2015
    Watching Chicken TV...
    I have unfortunate news. When I got up early this morning to take care of the animals, both my ducklings had passed away. I’m not sure how or why but I’m heartbroken and feel like the worst duck owner. They both seemed fine at about midnight last night but at 8 this morning they were gone.
    Thank you both for trying to help my girl. :(

7. mbphotos09

mbphotos09 Songster

Apr 14, 2015
    Watching Chicken TV...
    I actually just had my two 5-week-old ducklings together but I let them out in the yard (under supervision) with my chickens once a day. So that’s why I was wondering if I need to spray anything on it.

chickens really likes this.
  8. chickens really

That's terrible. Next time don't get crested or house with Chickens.
    Sorry that happened...

mbphotos09 likes this.
  9. mbphotos09

mbphotos09 Songster

Apr 14, 2015
    Watching Chicken TV...
    Thank you.
    They weren’t housed with the chickens, they were completely separate. I do know the crest injury wasn’t from one of my chickens because they hardly ever interacted and if they did, I was right there. And yes I won’t get crested next time, but I didn’t intend to get them in the first place. It just kinda happened.

quackiemama and chickens really like this.
  10. chickens really

I understand and best wishes...

mbphotos09 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: