Duckling help please:)

Pics

Chickmamma29

Songster
Feb 18, 2017
Northern Virginia
Looking for duckling help. I received 4 ducklings this morning (48 hours old approximately), and of course 1 seems to be much smaller than the others. She looks like she isn’t able to stand and walk as strong as the others. She is always standing with her wings out....The others do as well, but they put them down also. She seems way sleepier than the rest. I have a heat lamp and a chick plate for them to go under. Water has electrolytes and some nutri drench. I have also added a touch of apple cider vinegar. Non- medicated Chick starter with some oregano, probiotic and niacin. I have seen her drink quite a bit, but I have yet to see her eat. The 3 others are eating like crazy. Even tried scrambled eggs. Of course the other 3 gobbled them up, but not her. I managed to get a tad bit of nutri tench in her bill. I have not seen her pass a stool like the others.
I tried to capture some video of her but it keeps saying the file is too big to load here?

Is there anything I am missing? Should I worry??? Thank you!

**update** as soon as I posted this, I did see her poo:). Still no eating tho...

Here is a picture...she is the one off the the right by herself. When she falls asleep she puts her head down too, but you can see the other napping normally...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 21
You received them in the mail? Take a needleless syringe and put Nutri drench in it straight wrap the duckling in a soft hand towel and just dribble some along the bill some will get inside. Nutri drench goes straight into the blood stream does’t have to go through the stomach so it works fast be sure to check bottom for pasting and what are you temps in the brooder? Need to be between 90-95 first week.

Thanks for your help! Yes, I got a bit of nutri drench in her. How often do you think I should give it.
Brooder is 95, and they have a chick plate they have been going under as well. Yes, they arrived via mail this morning. Check their bottoms several times. All look good:)
Not sure if you saw my update, but Inhave seen her poo one time now, but still had not eaten.

You received them in the mail? Take a needleless syringe and put Nutri drench in it straight wrap the duckling in a soft hand towel and just dribble some along the bill some will get inside. Nutri drench goes straight into the blood stream does’t have to go through the stomach so it works fast be sure to check bottom for pasting and what are you temps in the brooder? Need to be between 90-95 first week.

I know, this is the worse part of baby chicks/ducks. And I hate shipping but was the only way I could get female ducklings where I am at. I think I do this freak out with every set I get lol.
You are kind to respond and try to help!

Hard to tell what maybe going on but shipping is stressful and being smaller may not have gotten any gro gel did they put that in the shipping box?

Is she drinking on her own? I’d put just Nutri drench in their water for now and what form of niacin are you using and what feed? What breed hard to tell with heat lamp on? I did see poop update that’s awesome. Once she starts to really drink good stop the syring

Oh and you can try soupy feed too put out both to start dry and soupy just add warm water and a tad of ACV to keep it from starting to mold maybe she’ll start drinking the feed once she gets the taste.

Back
Top Bottom