duckling help please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wavecookies, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Wavecookies

Wavecookies New Egg

Dec 29, 2014
    Good Evening.

4 Days ago we rescued 2 Muscovy ducklings at a park. One was stuck in the mud, barely peeping, neck crooked over and cold. The other one was a baby that just seemed slower than the rest and would follow mom a few steps then sit, then follow and sit, all while the others were super active picking at the grass. We watched him do that for around 30min until his slowness caused enough of a distance between mommy and the bunch and they ended up leaving him stranded while they crossed the lake.

He seemed exhausted and did not even run from us.

The one we found in the mud did not make it over night, but Mr. Peepers did.

I have him in a large bin that I made into a makeshift brooder, put a clamp on light with enough room for him to move around in case he gets too hot. He is eating non-medicated organic starter crumbs. His water dish was not deep enough to dunk his head into.

This evening I got home and noticed he had white crusty marks around both nostrils. He also sticks his head out slightly when he breaths and opens his beak. He was not doing this before this evening.

Every once in a while he makes sort or a hacking/quacking noise. I do not see anything obstructing his airways, and his nostrils look pretty clear. His breathing is a little weird, but he is not gasping for air or panting.

I put him in a tub of lukewarm water so he could dunk his head and hopefully fix the issue. It didn't help. I am wondering if he has an obstruction of some sort.

He will make the quacking/hacking sound then shake his head and make the chewing motion, leading me to believe something may be stuck.

Please let me know what you think, and how can I help him.

Thank you

2. Wavecookies

Wavecookies New Egg

Dec 29, 2014

3. Wavecookies

Wavecookies New Egg

Dec 29, 2014
    i tried to post a link to the video in youtube but it wont let me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by