Duckling help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Spooka, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Spooka

Spooka Just Hatched

Nov 6, 2016
    QLD Australia
    Hi all! I'm a new member and I would really appreciate some duckling advice! I love ducks! I have 5 adult ducks and 5 baby ducks :) I have a 2 day old call duckling that may have a defect of some kind. It jumps suddenly and erratically, it has splayed legs so I'm not sure if that is contributing to the problem or if it's a brain thing :( all the other ducklings sit still sometimes, it's as if this little one is having a twitch or something. Has anyone else experienced anything like this before? It sometimes gets stuck ok it's back and can't get back up, breaks my heart! Even when it is covered up, it will be falling asleep then just wake up running and flapping about until it is falling asleep! It eventually stopped the waking up and going crazy thing after 10 mins and is now sleeping peacefully. What does this sound like? [​IMG]

Any advice welcome x thanks!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Poor baby, sometimes they have a niacin deficiency which causes problems but, I've never heard of one acting like yours. I do think the duck folks are the ones to ask.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, Spooka, and :welcome! Great to have you with us. Hope the Ducks Forum folks can help you out. Best wishes! :)

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. Spooka

Spooka Just Hatched

Nov 6, 2016
    QLD Australia
    Thank you all for the very warm welcome!! I can't wait to post some positive things. I'll try the duck forum. I'm so happy that this lovely community exists!

Thanks again, take care x

7. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  8. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us! I don't know much about ducks, but folks in the duck forum do. I hope you enjoy BYC and best of luck with your duckling!

1 person likes this.
  9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! Good luck over on the duck forum, I hope they can help you. I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have!

1 person likes this.
  10. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by