Duckling help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rtflanagan, Mar 3, 2014.

1. rtflanagan

rtflanagan Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2014
    DH swears one of our ducklings are sick. We have 2 ducklings and 4 chicks from TSC. We get them a week and a half ago. One duckling keeps opening and closing it's bill. Randomly and not constant. DH says it looks weaker. During tub time today it's poop floated. It has never done that.

Brooder is at 85-90, pine shaving on floor, eating non medicated starter, grit provided. Seems to be eating ok and drinking. Water gets changed 3-4 times a day. It does seem a bit weaker than the other.

Any suggestions? I have seen some info on niacin deficiency and we are in VA and had that pretty good storm. Going to try to get some Brewers yeast tomorrow. Really want to prevent it from getting worse.

2. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    What are some other symptoms that your duckling is experiencing? It could be something respiratory (the opening and closing of the bill made me think resp.). Any wheezing sounds or anything of the sort? The brooder sounds fine. Check the duckling's crop to see if it feels impacted. The niacin is definitely a good idea and probiotics also sound good to me.

3. rtflanagan

Feb 21, 2014
    No wheezing sounds, no other real symptoms. Crop is soft. We are going to try to get out today and get the probiotics and niacin today. I really just want to head something off before it becomes and issue.

4. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Yeah, the probiotics and niacin will most likely help. If any more symptoms occur, keep us posted! Good luck :)

5. rtflanagan

Feb 21, 2014
    Ok. So our duckling is opening and closing it's bill more specifically after eating. There is constant water. I have been looking for a thread in clearing the crop. But I don't know if I should or if it needs to be done. I felt her compared to the other and it feels harder but not hard like a stone. Any suggestions?

6. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Sometimes food gets stuck in the ducklings' throats when they eat and to help it go down they'll do that with their beaks. If its only after eating, I'd assume that that's what your duckling is doing. You could try massaging the crop after they eat to help also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by