Duckling Identification

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Welshies, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Welshies

Welshies Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Hi, so I have two questions:
    How can you tell the difference between a Silver Appleyard and a Welsh Harlequin when they are both fuzzy little ducklings?
    And, the breeder told me this was still a pure Silver Appleyard just has a darker gene, from a greener egg. Is it?
    [​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Silver appleyard ducklings have a 'stripe' on the top of their heads usually - like these guys: http://cdn.countrysidenetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/the_silver_appleyard-42.jpg

Another picture, note they also have dark tails: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/HzmMDOkrXbc/hqdefault.jpg

Welshies don't have the stripe or the dark tail.

As to your mystery duckling, silver appleyards only come in one color, and it's nothing like that. That's either a mix or a different breed. Also, they only lay white eggs, not green, so if that duckling came from a green egg it's not likely an egg from an appleyard.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  3. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Ok

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Oh hey, I just saw that Ravyn said there is a very rare darker phase - hopefully your dark little one is that :) Did you get appleyards? I know you were having a terrible time finding purebred ducklings.

5. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Ah yes! Pickig them up on Sunday! :celebrate
    SO EXCITED! Purebred SAs and maybe a couple pure WHs!
    Turned out they posted the ad JUST as I was ready to give up on purebreds! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by