1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duckling in bottom of pond :-(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sandcat, Oct 25, 2010.

1. sandcat

sandcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    While cleaning the pond this morning I found a duckling in the bottom of it, poor little thing, i didnt realise any had been hatched, i just thought that all the duckilings would hatch together and by then i would have had the ramp in the pond so they could get out, I feel terrible as the poor little one couldnt get out of the pond.

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Awww, it got tired from swimming, I bet. It was an unfortunate accident. Hopefully you'll be all ready for the others.

3. sandcat

Sep 1, 2010
    yes i am sorting things out today, i thought the ducklings were a few weeks away, so i have to get the male away from the ducks until ducklings are born, he will hate being penned in, or maybe i could pen the ducks and ducklings in, either way its happening today

4. jellybean

jellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Bellevue, ID
    The male probably drug it into the pond and drowned it. It wouldn't have found the pond on it's own if the mother was still on the nest. Sorry! [​IMG]

5. Snakeman

Snakeman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2010
    I have a brooder pen for my mommas and their young. Shallow water pan(enough to play in) and food with a small shelter. Most are with the rest of the flock by 8 to 10 weeks. I use nest boxes that I can move and put the momma with her eggs in the brooder pen just before hatching. Sometimes I wait til they start hatching.

6. sandcat

Sep 1, 2010
    I did wonder how it got there, it was so tiny. one of the ducks sits on her eggs most of the day and the other one is off with the male all the time, i think the male is calling them and doesnt want to be alone, i really dont know what to do now. I tried to section off an area and it was a complete disaster, ducks are smarter than i thought, they can find the tiniest holes to squeeze through. I know someone just up the road that has a large Aviary looking thing that i think would be perfect for the ducks,hopefully they will be willing to sell it as i know its not being used for anything, could i move the nests and get the ducks to sit again?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by