Duckling in need of help!

Shelby96

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 15, 2014
I need some help. I got a duckling on 4/12/14 and it started to follow me and my boyfriend around like a lost puppy dog and my boyfriend wasn't watching where he was walking and stepped on Henry (my duckling) on 4/13/14 and ever since Henry (the duckling) limps when he walks and stands on his other foot and swims fine until he stops and then he leans in the water. I was wondering if I could do anything for poor little Henry. its his right leg. he will walk a few steps then lay down. Is there anything I can do for my duckling?
The top photo is of his right side and the bottom photo is of his left side
t

Last edited:
I need some help. I got a duckling on 4/12/14 and it started to follow me and my boyfriend around like a lost puppy dog and my boyfriend wasn't watching where he was walking and stepped on Henry (my duckling) on 4/13/14 and ever since Henry (the duckling) limps when he walks and stands on his other foot and swims fine until he stops and then he leans in the water. I was wondering if I could do anything for poor little Henry. its his right leg. he will walk a few steps then lay down. Is there anything I can do for my duckling?
The top photo is of his right side and the bottom photo is of his left side
t

Is the duckling able to put weight on the leg? if so it probably isn't broken how does it look? any swelling? redness try to keep it from doing much running for a few days to see if that helps, sometimes just rest will take care of an injury, also if your feeding the lil one chick starter I'd advise getting some B vitamins making sure B3 is in them and starting the duckling on them since chick feed doesn't have the proper amount of niacin ducklings need and it can cause lameness after a couple weeks. You maybe able to find a poultry vitamin with B3 in it that can be added to the drinking water and be given daily till 10-12 weeks of age. let us know if you can see any kind of injury to the leg. And please be careful with duckling being around the dog. so easy for duckling to be killed or injured by dogs.
welcome-byc.gif

We are feeding him gamebird feed and he can put weight on it for a couple of seconds and he is eating and drinking and is his normal self. but I am worried about his leg cause we are getting two more ducklings in a few days. and my duckling acts like a dog and they get along great but we still watch the dog with the duckling

Last edited:
We are feeding him gamebird feed and he can put weight on it for a couple of seconds and he is eating and drinking and is his normal self. but I am worried about his leg cause we are getting two more ducklings in a few days. and my duckling acts like a dog and they get along great but we still watch the dog with the duckling
Best thing you can do is make sure this duckling takes it easy for the next 2 days hopefully that will give it time to be healed, you don't notice anything abnormal with the leg compared to the other one? heat, swelling ? you can also use a epsom salt wrap on it's leg take a cup of warm water put a tea of es into it dissolving the es real good then take a soft wash cloth and soak it with the es solution wring out and wrap it's leg and hold there till you feel the heat going out of the cloth just be sure duckling doesn't get into es water since it also works as a laxative. Let us know how it is doing tomorrow, the only other suggestion would be to take it to a vet.

I agree with Miss Lydia. Also, I would get some Traumeel and put a tiny little dab of it on the duckling's leg - it is an herbal homeopathic treatment and if you don't put any stock it that, no offense taken. Just an idea that I would try.

Multi-vitamins, definitely once a week or two. And niacin (B3) daily.

I took at his leg today and it looks like it kinda out to the side by his hip but he is just being a duck and eating and drinking.

I took at his leg today and it looks like it kinda out to the side by his hip but he is just being a duck and eating and drinking.
Can you feel any swelling there where the hip attaches to the body, compare sides Glad to hear it's eating and drinking that's a good sign.

it looks slightly swollen but he acts like it don't bother him now unless he stands for to long. he lays down to eat and drink.

it looks slightly swollen but he acts like it don't bother him now unless he stands for to long. he lays down to eat and drink.
I would either get the Traumeel like Amiga suggested or try doing some Epsom salt wraps for at least a couple of days either one is good for inflammation and injuries. Sometimes they will heal on their own depending on what the injury is but why not help. I'd still give it rest for a couple days too.

Back
Top Bottom