Duckling in the Northwest -

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tiffanypdx, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Tiffanypdx

Tiffanypdx Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2013
    I'm looking for some ducklings in the NorthWest - Prefer Welsh Harlequin.

Anywhere local that I can get them?

Thank you,

Tiffany

2. DenverDucky

DenverDucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    What state are you in? Have you looked into local farms, chicken swaps, or even Craigslist?

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Check the sale section. Check your state thread in the "where am i, where are you" forum. Craigslist or hatcheries will start having some soon.

4. Tiffanypdx

Feb 5, 2013
    Thank you for your comments -

It seems the Portland, Oregon area is lacking in hatcheries or local farms that hatch ducklings let alone Welsh Harlequin.

I found one farm but they won't have any until April and Craigslist has had zero.

I found a feed store but they have Muscovy and that's not really what I wanted.

I'll keep looking on the form. Thanks!

Tiffany

5. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    Have you tried Holderreads? They have welsh harlequins.

6. DenverDucky

DenverDucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Another option is to order from a reputable hatchery that does small orders. The price will be higher because of shipment and small order fees but it also gives you option of having your ducklings sexed.

7. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    Have you checked Boondockers Farm? They have Ancona and Saxony ducks. If you really want WH, get them from Holderreads. They will ship or you can pick up. Are you in Western OR? I will have Anconas later, but I'm in the Olympia area.

8. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    If you want wh metzers in ca will have them this mon. Shipping out they sex them and min is 2 would be to u buy tue. Or Wed.

9. Tiffanypdx

Feb 5, 2013
    Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I have found a few local hatcheries who have the few breeds we would like, unfortunately they still won’t have their little guys until March. So we wait, which isn’t a big deal. I would order from Metzer but it would end up being close to $70.00 and almost worth buying ten of them but I’m thinking the wait will be worth it.

Thank you for all your ideas and it seems even Craigslist is showing up with more ducklings, just have to wait for the breed we want!!

Thanks again! T

10. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    You could post on the Oregon thread or cl and ask if anyone in your area would want to split a Metzer duckling order with you. I think you're right, though, and more people will be hatching ducklings soon. March isn't too far away!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by