Duckling injured(?) foot.

izemount

Hatching
Sep 21, 2021
Hey guys!
new to the site and have been browsing the forums a bit to try and find an answer for my question about my duckling.

I received two muscovy ducklings about a week ago now, now putting them at 3 weeks old. both tame as they are handled regularly.
One recently, maybe a couple days, starting walking funny and I thought she might have developed splay leg, but unsure of if they can deveolp in 2 week old ducklings?
I've monitored her regularly, and she eats and drinks like normal, just as much as her perfectly healthy sister. She struggles to use the other leg, when swimming (or floating) and it sort of just sits down. She can walk on it, but not for very long at all and its rather wobbly, more so walking on her toes. i have seen her stretch up on both feet, but she won't stand on the i guess the ball of her foot. (back pads??). and the ankle part of the foot won't bend.
Is it s dislocation? or sprain or something?
I dont think it has anything to do with their diets, as her sister is completely fine, and rather fast and speedy at the moment.

A niacin deficiency can develop with 1 duckling out of 30 or 1 out of 2 . Just something that happens and it can mean they are assimilating the nutrients the same as the other ducklg/s or something else. Please give more info feed exercise and brooder set up.
Many of us have Muscovy and know the breed pretty well. Leg issues such as niacin deficiency usually start around 2-3 weeks old but it can start soon or later. If you have ruled out an injury, then I'd start them on some liquid B complex TSC carries one called Durvet liquid B complex it will say injectable but we give orally over a treat or feed. You just want to make sure the one having problems get the full amount which at 2-3 weeks would need 1 ml. And even if an injury the B complex can help support through healing process. Warm water floating so she can have the pressure taken off her legs but keep the muscles from getting weak .
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
:welcome

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply and lack of pictures in this next response. Currently at work and won’t be able to take photos for the next 8 hours.

the ducklings are on chick starter (no idea percent as I live in a very remote town that just receives very large bins of chick feed every month). As well as chick feed they eat tons of peas, oats, corn.
I had an inkling that it would be a niacin issue from research. And started sprinkling nutritional yeast over their feed. Atm I’m unable to get any vitamin B products as I’ve already searched the locally pharmacy, and shipping will take longer then when I’m away.
I leave in 7 days for a short holiday, in which I can bring back any supplements I need. With nutritional yeast tide me over until then?

Sorry for the late reply and lack of pictures in this next response. Currently at work and won’t be able to take photos for the next 8 hours.

the ducklings are on chick starter (no idea percent as I live in a very remote town that just receives very large bins of chick feed every month). As well as chick feed they eat tons of peas, oats, corn.
I had an inkling that it would be a niacin issue from research. And started sprinkling nutritional yeast over their feed. Atm I’m unable to get any vitamin B products as I’ve already searched the locally pharmacy, and shipping will take longer then when I’m away.
I leave in 7 days for a short holiday, in which I can bring back any supplements I need. With nutritional yeast tide me over until then?
Niacin would be the most important b vitamin, so its good to add the nutritional yeast. You would want to make sure the duckling with the issue is getting a good dose. As well, it will take awhile to see improvement.

Little update as it has been sometime. I ensured the ducklings were eating more peas for natural niacin, as well as recieving the occasional nutritional yeast.
within about a week, the little ducklings leg came right and shes as strong as ever.
both of them are perfectly healthy and happy, and Natasha (the one with the previous leg problem) as no issues beating her sister in swimming races in their new pond :)
All is well and I thank everyone for the help!

Back
Top Bottom