Duckling injured?

poultrygirl2000

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
Hi, I'm new to this forum and have a question about a baby call duck I got this morning. We had a shipment of 16 call ducks come in this morning ( one died in shipping so 15 ) and when we were putting them in their container with a heat lamp I noticed one that was very lethargic. It was getting trampled by the others and its eyes stayed half open. I was bringing him inside to give him sugar water, and he jumped out of my hands and fell onto the tile landing on his back :( I put him back with the others but now he can't walk or stand plus his lethargy is worse :( did he injure his spine? He just keeps rolling on his back trying to get up. I feel horrible! What do I do?!?!

Hi, I'm new to this forum and have a question about a baby call duck I got this morning. We had a shipment of 16 call ducks come in this morning ( one died in shipping so 15 ) and when we were putting them in their container with a heat lamp I noticed one that was very lethargic. It was getting trampled by the others and its eyes stayed half open. I was bringing him inside to give him sugar water, and he jumped out of my hands and fell onto the tile landing on his back
sad.png
I put him back with the others but now he can't walk or stand plus his lethargy is worse
sad.png
did he injure his spine? He just keeps rolling on his back trying to get up. I feel horrible! What do I do?!?!
I'd put him into his own little box inside the brooder for a while, have you offered any sugar water or save a chick, electrolytes? make a little donut out of a small towel and place the duckling in the middle to keep it upright. Hopefully it will recover with a lil rest, shipping is hard on them. and then the fall well things happen now to try and get the lil one rested and better.

He may indeed have a spinal injury.

Separate him so he doesn't continue to get trampled. You may want to support him with the folds of a towel in a healthy position. Dip his bill into lukewarm water. I would add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a pint of water. Also, if you have sav-a-chick or gro-gel, I would give him some of that, also.

And then you need to watch and see how he does. Sometimes littles can recover from serious injuries. Give him a chance, forgive yourself, and concentrate on caring for all of them.

Please stay in touch on the forum, there is much to learn here, and I am sure we can learn from you, too.

Take a look at the duckling care sticky, if you have not yet.

Thanks for your replies :) I have separated him from the others. I have him some sugar water but will be sure to get sav-a-chick. I wrapped him in a towel like you suggested so he stays upright. Ill keep you updated and I'm hoping it turns out ok :)

Thanks for your replies
smile.png
I have separated him from the others. I have him some sugar water but will be sure to get sav-a-chick. I wrapped him in a towel like you suggested so he stays upright. Ill keep you updated and I'm hoping it turns out ok
smile.png
lightly wrap him so he can move around if he wants but still be supported.. and we're pulling for the lil one. thanks for keeping us updated..
fl.gif

Go light on the molasses, while it is used for calories, it can also be used for a laxative. I think it's one of those things where more is not necessarily better!

Back
Top Bottom