1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duckling internally pipping day 22???? Please help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sustained, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Sustained

Sustained Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Oregon
    I didn't do my 21 day candle yesterday so I decided to do it just now. All eggs look good except one looks like it has already internally pipped?? I put the egg to my ear and thought I heard little taps and there's definitely movement in the aircell but mostly a shadowy outline and nothing definite like a beak or anything. I'm new to duck eggs. Temps have been good in this bator. I noticed veining in this one early. Possibly day 2? Day 3 for sure but I think it was a little earlier because I remember being shocked and thought duck eggs were just different. This egg comes from a batch of shipped eggs. Is it possible that a duck was sitting on it a few days before it got shipped? Would that kill the embryo? I'm really confused. I wasn't expecting this so my hatcher was torn down. I'm putting it back together and trying to stabilize temps and humidity. Any advice???

2. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    Stranger things have happened I guess. I would think a pre-incubated egg would have a greater chance of living if it were purchased locally but I have heard of people intentionally incubating eggs and then mailing them and they did hatch. In any case it seems like your duck is going to arrive sooner rather than later!

Surprises like these always keep us on our toes... my Ancona ducks are just hatching yesterday and today and the little grey egg I thought might be a Cayuga is, so I got a surprise little black duck!

3. Sustained

Sustained Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Oregon
    Wow. That makes me feel a bit better. I panicked and checked my temps like a crazy woman all over the incubator to see if I had hot spots. I only found a 1 degree variance through the whole thing with the average sitting at 99.7F. [​IMG]

I thought this was way too early for a duckling to hatch? Assuming it hadn't been sat on for a few days before being found and collected? Pre-incubation was the only explanation I could think of and would explain seeing development so soon at the same time. I've been looking forward to my first ducklings so much that I really don't want to lose any.

Congrats on your duckies! THAT is the kind of surprise I could go for lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by