1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duckling is sick....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by amalthea222, Mar 28, 2017.

1. amalthea222

amalthea222 Just Hatched

Dec 28, 2016
    We have ducklings. I have been VERY careful with not having them in deep water. The one duck however got underneath the running water while I was washing them all off. He threw up twice after I took him out of the water and held him. He threw up the water and food in his belly. It has been 4 hours and it is still opening and shutting his mouth...and panting hard, but not eating and drinking at all. He bobs his head and opens and shuts his mouth. I am devastated as I have been so careful with the amount of water that I put in for them to wash up a little. Is there anything that anyone can suggest to help him? I believe he is about 3.5 weeks old.

2. Ashleymarie529

Ashleymarie529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    Are you assuming he swallowed water or choked? how long was he under the faucet? The depth of the water isn't the issue. Maybe he breathed in water or choked, but that's kinda weird. The whole situation is odd.

He may just not be feeling well from throwing up and panicking under the water. Wet down his food so it's easy to swallow and just wait it out. Make sure he's warm and comfy. He should come around. The panting may mean he's too hot. Hopefully your baby is just shocked from the experience.

3. amalthea222

amalthea222 Just Hatched

Dec 28, 2016
    He is not hot. The other ducklings are comfortable. He is not panting like he is hot. He is bobbing his head with his mouth open...and extending his neck out. It is like a jerking motion with his neck.

When he threw up, water was coming out of his nose and mouth. He was chocking then. But he is breathing fine now.

He will not eat no matter what I do with his food though. He isolated himself away from the other ducklings when they are eating and drinking. I see water still seeping out of his nose. But he has not thrown up again after he did that 2 times. When he threw up, it was food and water.

I sure hope he was just shocked and gets better. He does not look well right now. I am freaking out. I have babied these ducks so much. I will just be devastated if I lose him.

He was acting fine until he was under that water.

4. Ashleymarie529

Ashleymarie529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX

Well for future reference, running water and ducklings is not a great plan.

If he's not eating, you need to make a food/water mixture and feed him by syringe. He had to have nutrients to get better. Also get some Nutridrench from tractor supply tomorrow and administer that as well. That stuff goes straight into the blood stream and helps instantly. He HAS to have nutrients.

I guess try all of the above and take them time to hold him and bond. This could turn out to give you a sweet Drake if you can use this time wisely. Biggest thing is get him some nutrients in his system.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

How is the Duckling today?....Very possible that it aspirated on the water and has gotten some into his lungs....Keep and eye on him...:(....

Best wishes.....:)

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by