Duckling jumped out of arms down stairs...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Duoas, May 24, 2010.

1. Duoas

Duoas Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    I am sorry to be so annoying -- as I don't know anything yet...

My wife was carrying our duckling Ava down the stairs along with a can of wipes (to pick up poo), and Ava jumped! Fortunately I was at the bottom of the stairwell, but I only caught her on the rebound. She bounced off of her back and the drop was about five or six feet.

We have noticed that baby ducks are very hardy, but still, she seems to be favoring a wing (oddly, though, not the one I thought she hit -- I could be wrong). She was quite dazed at first, but now she seems to be acting more or less normally -- maybe some residual shock.

Another thing we are unsure of is that we recently fed both Ava and Trouble a bunch of cherry tomatoes (cut up, of course), but only Ava has really red stool. Is she suffering any internal injury? Or is this just reaction to the shock of falling five feet and bouncing?

We are at the moment waiting to see if she worsens. If she doesn't seem better by tomorrow we may have to take her to the vet.

Is this a wise course?

Thank you so much for your time.

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Lets bump this to get you some help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by