Duckling just hatched early, do I take it out of incubator?

Crazy4Fowl

Songster
9 Years
Nov 20, 2014
My duck coop
One of my ducklings just hatched. The 28th day would be Monday so it was 3 days early. What do I do with her? There’s about 20 eggs in the incubator and she’s walking around stumbling into them which I assume isn’t good for the other ducklings. Once she dries do I take her out and put her in a warm brooder?

Attachments

• 804EB64B-8F91-483A-8230-D4737D407F80.jpeg
    804EB64B-8F91-483A-8230-D4737D407F80.jpeg
    422.5 KB · Views: 84
What a cutie. 🥰

It would be best to take her out once she has dried off, but she may be quite needy until some friends hatch. You could put her back in the incubator at night so that she can hear the others and feels like she isn't alone (otherwise you might not get much sleep). The others may hatch early because she did so hopefully it won't be long before some friends hatch for her. :fl

What a cutie. 🥰

It would be best to take her out once she has dried off, but she may be quite needy until some friends hatch. You could put her back in the incubator at night so that she can hear the others and feels like she isn't alone (otherwise you might not get much sleep). The others may hatch early because she did so hopefully it won't be long before some friends hatch for her. :fl
I was thinking about putting her broody box right next to the incubator so she can hear her friends. How long does it take for them to dry off? She hatched almost two hours ago.

Last edited:
I was thinking about putting her broody box right next to the incubator so she can hear her friends. How long does it take for them to try off? She hatched almost two hours ago.
It depends on your incubator (how big/humidity etc) and it can take quite a few hours so there's no rush. Once she looks mostly dry you can take her out and just make sure she stays under the heat to fully dry off.

Take her out, but no need to rush. It is normal for the eggs to get bumped around by those who have hatched. When you open the incubator make sure the humidity stays above 60 (or returns quickly) be quick or add humidity to the air . I am able to run the shower others add paper towels. She should be dry soon. Yes keeping her close is a good idea.

Take her out, but no need to rush. It is normal for the eggs to get bumped around by those who have hatched. When you open the incubator make sure the humidity stays above 60 (or returns quickly) be quick or add humidity to the air . I am able to run the shower others add paper towels. She should be dry soon. Yes keeping her close is a good idea.
Yeah humidity is at 65% even with the vent hole unplugged. I was just worried about her going around bumping in to all the eggs. I also have little Petri dishes of water she could bump in to. Thank you all for you help, been a few years since I hatched ducklings.

10 have hatched but there’s still one more that has been rocking her egg all day and only has a tiny crack. Technically the 28th day is tomorrow but she’s the only one unhatched. Any concerns or things I should do?

Back
Top Bottom