Duckling just hatched - yolk not absorbed!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mamasaurus, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Mamasaurus

Mamasaurus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2014
    Hi all,

I have this duckling just hatched, wobbling around ALL over the place with a sac of yolk hanging from his? umbilical (cloaca), I really am not sure what to do - he's fighting fit and quackling away at me like a trooper but I'm afraid that dragging this sac is a bot of a problem! I have contained him and put him back in the incubator....but what next?

Hoping I can leave it and it'll work itself out. Any thoughts??

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I would now, just wait and see if it absorbs.

3. Mamasaurus

Aug 15, 2014
    OK. Will do! If this seems possible, it looks better now :)
    [​IMG]

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh I'm glad it's looking better. That is upsetting to see that stuff on the outside.....[​IMG]

5. Mamasaurus

Aug 15, 2014
    Thank you for your help- I stayed up with him for an hour last night (it was 2am here) - i was already Veeeeerrrryyy tired so I set him up in a cup with paper towel and put back in the bator alone. sometime last night though the sac ruptured and he bled out. Very upsetting. [​IMG]We did get to spend his last moments cuddling and tried some sugar water to no avail....he just gave up!

I do appreciate your quick reply - he had the best chance given the circumstances!!

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by