Duckling Lame?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Crysalismum, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Crysalismum

Crysalismum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2011
    We woke tp find the second duckling from my new pairing hatched this morning.
    First off it stayed lying looking like it was still in the shell & it doesn't seem to want to get up in its legs - they just stay curled up underneath it like it was in the shell. I have out it on the floor several times but it won't stand.
    What do I do??

2. Crysalismum

Dec 26, 2011
    [​IMG]

3. Crysalismum

Dec 26, 2011
    [​IMG]

4. Crysalismum

Dec 26, 2011
    When held up on the standing position the duckling doesn't "take" any weight or stretch its lil feet out. Should I make lil shoes like for chickens??

5. Crysalismum

Dec 26, 2011
    Also a/he has been in the bator all day and is not fluffy- more like wiry & it's fluff is coming off.

6. RugenerGooser

RugenerGooser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    New Mexico
    Put your baby on some vitamins and electrolytes in the water. In my experience it sometimes takes some babies a bit longer than others to get their sea legs, so to speak. The silky look is not uncommon to me either, especially when I have to brood them outside of the incubator. Some of my ducklings hate being put back in the incubator, so I put them in a tub with some shavings and a dish cloth where they can lay on it and I cover them with it lightly. I use a light bulb or infrared with a thermometer so it does not get too hot or cold and they get to sleep next to my bed where I talk to them and they know someone is close. Funny...they like their woobies (dish cloths). I would see about perhaps putting a little niacin(B3) in the water also. What kind of duckling is it? If you have any other questions, you can also get me quicker at [email protected].

January

7. Crysalismum

Dec 26, 2011
    Thank you -all i had was some soluable aldi style berocca so i made it up & gave the duckling 1 ml by syringe & then gave it as the drinking water choice- within a few hours of vitamins in its water s/he is still squatting a lot but has stood & walked many times. Will keep fingers crossed!

8. RugenerGooser

RugenerGooser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    New Mexico
    That is awesome!!!! It sounds like we are off to a good start. You just have a special baby that needs a little extra TLC to get going. Are you close to any Tractor supply stores? They have packets of Sav-a-Chick vitamins and electrolytes and probiotic. A three pack of each runs about $2.50. I use the quart size waterers when they are that small and each packet works for a gallon of water. I just break it down and put even amounts of both in however many ounces or quarts of water I am giving at a time. What you're currently doing sounds like it has done quite a bit in this short amount of time. I also use the Rooster Booster line of products. Keep me posted and let me know if you need anything.

[​IMG]Shalom!

January

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by