duckling leg problem??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Glitterunicorn, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Glitterunicorn

Glitterunicorn In the Brooder

Jun 4, 2018
    AA54A5E3-FBBD-4EB8-B326-FDECC8A2403E.jpeg so i’ve got a baby duck and I’ve bought another for company to the first. The smaller is 2 weeks old, the other 3 weeks old. They’re normal domestic ducks.
    So the smaller one stopped using it’s legs 2 days ago. The vet said we can do nothing, everything’s fine, buy them vitamins. Okay I bought vitamins today.
    But it’s leg started curling up, I guess, it’s shaking, because of pain(?). It’s trying to follow the other duckling, and eats well.
    What can I do? What should I do?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Mary Did You Know....

What kind of vitamins did you get?

We recommend B Complex liquid since a lot of ducklings are having a niacin deficiency and the liquid seems to work better and faster. TSC carries liquid B Complex for cattle it says injectable but we use if for poultry orally 1 ML 2X a day either over some smashed peas or dried meal worms or tiny drops right inside the bill

Or Human B complex Walmart or other places that carry vitamins 1 Teaspoon 2X a day. Water fowl can have a niacin deficiency if being fed chick starter since it doesn't have the right amount of niacin for water fowl So supplementing is always rec. The soon the lil one is treated the better.
    Unless you think this is an injury? Here is another good source on leg issues.
    https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Rest, BComplex and warm water therapy are all good ways to help. :welcome

CayugaJana, casportpony and Jpat like this.
  3. Glitterunicorn

Jun 4, 2018
    Thanks for answer I’ve bought them the only vitamin that was in the shop for ducks, with A, B1, B2, K3, D3, E and a lot more vitamins. (Liquid)
    Also I feed them some basic corn stuff from the local market, and any kind of fruits and veggies they seems to like.
    I hope it’ll be okay

casportpony likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

What is the basic corn stuff? is it a feed? If it's mainly corn then they need to be fed a feed that is complete. Corn is not a complete feed.
    I hope it will be okay too.
    How often are you giving the vitamins?

casportpony and shawluvsbirds like this.
  5. Duck Mama!

Duck Mama! In the Brooder

Jun 4, 2018

6. Duck Mama!

Jun 4, 2018
    You are on the right track. I gave vitamins and kept giving mine the 'starter pellets' sprinkled on diced cucumbers, shredded lettuce, etc. She is up and walking with a limp but strong! She sometimes puts the left foot over the right foot so I am trying to make or purchase a duck hobble to keep the legs apart. Found out that some of the starter feed does not have the correct nutrients and vitamins. And this causes the problems with walking for a lot of ducks! Anybody: How do a make a duck hobble???

CayugaJana and casportpony like this.
  7. Glitterunicorn

Jun 4, 2018
    It’s grits, corn only. I’ll buy them some other stuff then.
    The vet said I can give them that vitamin water all day, so they drink that all day from today. I bought it this morning.

8. Duck Mama!

Jun 4, 2018
    Thank you, Duck Forum!! The vets in my area don't seem to want to help with ducks! They gave me the run-around. Following suggestions in the forum has saved the life of my duck. THANK YOU!!

9. Glitterunicorn

Jun 4, 2018
    I’m glad we too have a chance and i’m happy for your duck too

10. Miss Lydia

If you can pick up a feed specific for ducklings that would be great or try and find an All Flock feed that says it's for water fowl too. that change in diet along with vitamins will hopefully get your little duckling back up walking.

Please keep us updated.

CayugaJana and casportpony like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: