Duckling loosing fluff/feathers

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ADuckOnQuack, Sep 4, 2016.

1. ADuckOnQuack

ADuckOnQuack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    England
    Recently purchased 10 Indian runner duckling and we've moved them in a different coop a few days ago. And we've noticed that one duckling had no fluff on the bottom of her back. Today I found that she has lost a lot more fluff on her back and round her neck and I'm sure she will being bald soon. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Thanks in advance. G

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Sounds like they are moulting....Normal...

3. ADuckOnQuack

May 20, 2016
    England
    No all the other ducklings are full of feather/fluff and this one is near completly bald. There a few week old and never seen this happen before. I will add a picture tomorrow

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Are they all the same age? Are there any other birds with them? Feathers off the back and neck can happen during mating. I don't see how that could be going on, but feather-pulling is a behavior ducklings have sometimes when they are over-crowded. Is the duckling slipping under something, like the edge of a pen?

5. ADuckOnQuack

May 20, 2016
    England
    All the 9 ducklings are in a separate pen away from our chickens. There's about a weeks difference between some of the ducklings and it haven't seen any other ducks picking on her. I can't see it being overcrowded as the run is big enough for the size of what they are. Thanks

6. ADuckOnQuack

May 20, 2016
    England
    [​IMG]

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Strange... I have read of some ducklings with developmental problems.

@sourland any insight here? @casportpony ? @Orca5094 ?

Perhaps you can give poultry vitamins with electrolytes and probiotics once or twice a week, see if there's some kind of nutritional issue going on. From what I have seen on the forums, some ducklings just need more vitamins...

8. ADuckOnQuack

May 20, 2016
    England
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by