Duckling losing down on belly?

1sellersrobe

Chirping
Aug 7, 2020
I have some ducklings losing down on their bellies and they look a little red. I woke up this morning and their bedding was soaked, so I quick changed it out. Could it be from the pine shavings being too wet? What could cause this?

Here are some pics

Attachments

• 8CA1693C-4C1E-45E6-9C54-5B86D8684BC7.jpeg
    8CA1693C-4C1E-45E6-9C54-5B86D8684BC7.jpeg
    447.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 3DE0FD26-EDF9-4C75-99BC-D8BE2FD0EEA1.jpeg
    3DE0FD26-EDF9-4C75-99BC-D8BE2FD0EEA1.jpeg
    448.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 13E80F26-4D6B-4982-8BEF-07D84F7A0BBB.jpeg
    13E80F26-4D6B-4982-8BEF-07D84F7A0BBB.jpeg
    504.5 KB · Views: 15
Could be the e been too wet, you could try changing over to puppy pee pads for a week as they are easier to clean up and keep dry. I've not seen anything like this with my ducklings in the past.

Could be the e been too wet, you could try changing over to puppy pee pads for a week as they are easier to clean up and keep dry. I've not seen anything like this with my ducklings in the past.
Thanks! I don't have any of those but I'll definitely go out and get some.
Your ducks would be much better off in an outdoor coop. It is very hard to keep a plastic tub dry.
Thank you. I don't have an outdoor brooder right now, but I did figure out how to elevate the waterer so they can't swim in it. They'll still get everything wet (they are ducks afterall) but at least it'll take a little longer.

Thank you. I don't have an outdoor brooder right now

Your ducks probably don't need a brooder anymore, just a regular coop. Ducks are very hardy. It depends on their age and your nightime low temperature, of course. You don't have your location listed in your profile, so we don't know your climate.

Ducklings grow very, very fast.

Your ducks probably don't need a brooder anymore, just a regular coop. Ducks are very hardy. It depends on their age and your nightime low temperature, of course. You don't have your location listed in your profile, so we don't know your climate.

Ducklings grow very, very fast.
Thanks! They are only a week old so I was a little worried. They haven't even started growing feathers yet. I live in CT where our lows are in the low 50's right now. I just didn't want to put them in the coop and have to pull them back two days later (my coop is at a friend's house, my parents don't allow me to have one). There aren't any other birds in there to keep them warm.

I have a grate in the brooder when I have ducks in it it's just a frame I built out of 2x2's and put 1/4x1/4 welded wire over it so they're not laying in water or wet shavings

I personally would not put them outside yet, a week is very young and your overnight temps are very low for them. You're right to still have them inside.

The fact that all three of them are having the same issue would I think indicate it being an environmental issue, and probably the bedding.

How big of a box do you have them in, how deep is their bedding? What are you doing to maintain it? (scooping out the wet shavings periodically through the day, changing the whole box - how often?)

Back
Top Bottom