Duckling lost feathers and skin from head injury, bone exposed

connie2020

Chirping
Apr 9, 2020
Duckling got caught in aviary net and it appears that the chicken pecked all her sling from her head. Allowing bathing, and applying Neosporin. She doesn't mind if I touch it to apply Neosporin. Tonight she was scratching it with her claws. I guess it's healing and itches. Maybe she is trying to help the skin grow by scratching to cause blood for healing? One week today. Injury was 3 days ago.

Attachments

• PXL_20210723_215224792.jpg
    PXL_20210723_215224792.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 48
  • PXL_20210723_215230411.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210723_215230411.PORTRAIT.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 22
Sorry no one has responded, I don’t have the expertise to help with a head injury like this. Summer can be a busy time for some members due to their farms, etc.
I hope someone is able to help soon.

That looks painful. I'm not sure what to do about the pain, but maybe add some neosporin to the area. Vetricyn is often recommended for wound care as well. I've read about success with manuka honey too. If it were me, I would keep her warm and dry with no bathing allowed until the area is healed.

Last edited:
I think you have hit all the high spots at the moment. You've cleaned the wound and applied an antibiotic ointment. Make sure you don't use one with pain killer in it. It doesn't get along with poultry.

The little one has been scalped. Since I don't have ducks, just chickens I'm going to tag some duck people for you.

@Nifty-Chicken @shawluvsbirds @Miss Lydia can you help this member out with her injured baby?

Duckling got caught in aviary net and it appears that the chicken pecked all her sling from her head. Allowing bathing, and applying Neosporin. She doesn't mind if I touch it to apply Neosporin. Tonight she was scratching it with her claws. I guess it's healing and itches. Maybe she is trying to help the skin grow by scratching to cause blood for healing? One week today. Injury was 3 days ago.
I remember a thread from a long time ago about a scalped duckling...lemme see if I can dig it up.

Really? Whow! Thanks for passing that on Shawluvsbirds I've spent years steering away from triple A ointment with pain relief out of sheer terror that I was going to do something to hurt my birds.

Back
Top Bottom