Duckling needs help ASAP

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WoodwardRooster, Aug 22, 2011.

1. WoodwardRooster

WoodwardRooster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Ferndale
    I have a buff duckling that is 6 weeks old and has lad and growth issues. She is about a 5th of the size of the other two and has hardly any feathers growing in, but the thing I am most concerned with is her legs. She walks but her legs are almost crossed and she trips over herself, and when she stands one leg is crossed over the other. I assumed it was a niacin deficiency so I have been supplementing 125mg of niacin per gallon of water for about 3 weeks now. She was shaking before and now that has stopped but the crossed legs have gotten worse. What can I do to cure this problem? I'm thinking if I could wrap her hips with a bandage it could force her legs out. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks for your help.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You're being so good to your duckling! This is a tough one. I'm going to guess she may have some other deficiencies - thiamine, perhaps? Have you been giving a multivitamin? She may also have muscle or skeleton troubles, and splinting at this early age may help, too.

Perhaps you can do a search on slipped tendon, or splints and see what others have done. I have read that sometimes you can correct some problems if you start early enough.

She sounds a bit like Duckyfromoz's Regie, who had a number of difficulties but led a pretty happy duck life, with some assistance.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Has it been like this since hatch or did it develop these behaviors/abnormalities?
    I don't know but if its been since hatch, maybe you could do something similar to what they use for spraddle leg. Instead of keeping the legs together it could keep them apart. It could be a skeletal defect or broken hip, leg, something.
    I hope for the best for your baby.

4. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    You could use a straw or popsicle stick and put in between the legs and tape like that, like what the other person said just doing the opposite as you do for spraddle leg. do it loose enough that they can still move one foot forward at a time but tight enough that the legs cant accidently cross again

5. Sweetened

Sweetened Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Please let us know what you decide and how it goes. *Subscribed*

6. WoodwardRooster

Jun 10, 2010
    Ferndale
    Thanks for the response. She was about 2 week old when I noticed something was wrong; her body looked s- shaped and her hips protruded a lot and she trembled when she stood. Once I started niacin the hips didn't protrude as much. I think I will have to turn her into a house duck for a while and try a more aggressive treatment with other vitamins and a hobble of some sort like you said. Thanks again

7. WoodwardRooster

Jun 10, 2010
    Ferndale
    Well its been a week and I'm not seeing much improvement. When she stands her legs are either totally crossed, or else one foot is on the other and she trips herself. I've been giving her poly-vi-sol vitamins in addition to the niacin, and have been supplementing hard-boiled eggs and spinach in the food. I did make a foam "orthopedic" to keep her legs apart, but that didn't last too long, she was tripping even more when she was with the other 2 ducks. Do you think it would be a good idea to separate her from the others in a smaller box and keep the foam brace on her for a while? Will it force her legs/hips to grow correctly? I can't stand to see her suffer as she has, but want to give her a chance before having to put her down.

8. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    If she is both crippled and small, I'd put her down. I've tried a few times to work with various problems and abnormalities, but in the end almost all of them have had to be put down and all I did was to prolong their discomfort. It's really hard, but consider her quality of life and make the decision that only you can make - when and if it is time to let her go.

9. WoodwardRooster

Jun 10, 2010
    Ferndale
    Thanks for the advice. I have her in a rubbermaid box in the basement now, she is eating a lot more and seems a slight bit better, however she is still having leg issues. I've been thinking about it, and if she doesn't show noticeable mobility improvement by this weekend then I will have her put down. I want to give her a chance of sorts but not let her suffer.

10. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Search for spraddle leg. You should be able to do the same thing. With it you are keeping the legs together and you need to keep them apart. Keep her seperate that way her siblings won't interfere with the brace. Best of luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by