Duckling needs help

CluckYeah8908

Songster
6 Years
Jun 18, 2016
Oklahoma
Hello! I went to the feed store yesterday for some baby chickens when I saw this duckling on its back getting pecked by all the other ducklings. The employee said he was like that because he “drank too much water”. I didn’t believe that but I didn’t want him to continue to get beat up so I brought him home. I’ve raised very few ducks so I’m here with some questions.

So the duckling has a very hard time standing up/walking. He looses his balance and some times shakes. He eats and drinks good but only with some help.

He is in his own brooder with a heat lamp.

Ive talked to a few duck people and got conflicting answers on what could be wrong.

One person said he is a crested duck therefore he has neurological problems due to the hole in his skull. And another said this is a vitamin deficiency.

I understand both could be true, so what do I do?

What should I be feeding him to give him the best chance? He is strong and has a will to live. What food brand/vitamins/maybe fresh vegetables? He is on “Save a chick” electrolyte water.

I cannot give him constant access to food/water due to him rolling over, he could drown. And if he has food, he needs water or he could choke. So my other question is how often should I be feeding/watering him?

Please give me all your duck knowledge, thank you for reading

Attachments

• CE1575A7-18ED-4DEE-A27E-D8495C85A230.jpeg
    CE1575A7-18ED-4DEE-A27E-D8495C85A230.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 23
Ducklings need extra niacin. Add nutritional yeast or I believe B vitamins to his food. Do you have duckling starter? Or are you feeding chick starter or all flock crumbles? Don't give treats at this stage. I am not aware of anything to do for neurological issues, but treating for vitamin deficiencies can be done

When I had one with issues I did feed and water every 2 hours even through the night
I would try mixing vitamin E with scrambled eggs
I would take a little bit to the side and open the capsule of E and mix it in
Mine loved his eggs so much that I would have to take breaks as his crop would be ready to bust open
I also added nutritional yeast 1tbs to 1 cup feed. But if he is having trouble walking I would give extra and do durvet vitamin B complex 1 ml over a treat or directly by syringe once a day for 2-3 weeks
Yoy can also add poly vi sol non iron infant vitamins a few drops in his water
Yoy will need to provide chick grit when giving anything other then the regular feed as well

Back
Top Bottom