Duckling needs more niacin

ethical_carnivore

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2021
I have 4 Pekins, 4 weeks old. I noticed niacin deficiency symptoms when they were a week old (with help from threads here on BYC) and have been adding 150mg of niacin from capsules ever since. 3 improved quickly and show no symptoms anymore, but one still struggles to walk, and has little interest In food and water (even herbs and peas) so I cant get it to take extra niacin, especially because when it does eat and drink it goes slow so the other ducks eat most of the treats I give it with extra niacin . It hated when I tried feeding concentrated niacin liquid directly via oral syringe.
I’m wondering if it would be traumatizing to separate it for a few days to ensure it is getting the full dose of niacin I mix in a small bowl of peas, or if you guys have any other ideas.
Thanks!

I add nutritional yeast to their food. Could you make a mash of food, she may eat more and have the niacin in the mash. You may have to make a couple different containers worth so that the others go toward the extra containers full.

While it may not be the most fun or easiest route, direct oral administration would ensure the duckling is getting a full dosage and would allow you to continue on keeping it with the others.
If you had a hard time with the B liquid, you should consider buying a small pill B complex form, and pop a piece directly into the duckling's mouth daily. Diming the lights in their pen, or waiting till dark to administer can often make it less stressful for the duckling, and easier for you to admister.
A niacin deficiency can quickly become permanent, so it is necessary to be aggressive with B vitamin therapy as soon as you detect the problem.

Try feeding it in a separated spot from the others but still where they can all see each other. It's very important to make sure this little one is eating drinking and getting the extra B complex it needs.
:welcome at 4 weeks some yummy mealworms with the liquid b complex over or peas, Just enough treat to make sure it's getting the b complex.

I add nutritional yeast to their food. Could you make a mash of food, she may eat more and have the niacin in the mash. You may have to make a couple different containers worth so that the others go toward the extra containers full.
Thank you for the advice, we’ve been giving brewers yeast that was supposed to be for ducks since we first got them, but when I read the label I realized it’s got nowhere near the dose they need which is when I started adding niacin powder. I hadn’t heard of nutritional yeast. just ordered some coming tomorrow

While it may not be the most fun or easiest route, direct oral administration would ensure the duckling is getting a full dosage and would allow you to continue on keeping it with the others.
If you had a hard time with the B liquid, you should consider buying a small pill B complex form, and pop a piece directly into the duckling's mouth daily. Diming the lights in their pen, or waiting till dark to administer can often make it less stressful for the duckling, and easier for you to admister.
A niacin deficiency can quickly become permanent, so it is necessary to be aggressive with B vitamin therapy as soon as you detect the problem.
Thanks so much. Is there any particular style of syringe or dropper you prefer? What should I look for in a liquid B Complex eg flavored vs not, etc? I’ve got nutritional yeast coming tomorrow But I am also going to bite the bullet and start direct feeding with liquid B for at least a few days just to be safe

Try feeding it in a separated spot from the others but still where they can all see each other. It's very important to make sure this little one is eating drinking and getting the extra B complex it needs.
:welcome at 4 weeks some yummy mealworms with the liquid b complex over or peas, Just enough treat to make sure it's getting the b complex.
Thanks for the quick response, feeding it separate but in sight of the others sounds like a great way to make sure she gets the full dose without causing unnecessary stress

Back
Top Bottom