Duckling Niacin Dose, leg injury?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DellaMyDarling, Jun 5, 2019.

1. DellaMyDarling

DellaMyDarling Songster

Dec 13, 2017
    Mass Hilltowns
    My brat kid dropped my duckling!
    Duckling now half uses one leg.
    Presuming this is fall damage. Everything moves correctly for me, I'd think intramuscular? Or just coincidence with no niacin added to diet?

And niacin, before I create leg problems!
    I have Durvet vitamin B complex. The injectable cattle stuff.
    How the heck do I dosage 5 ducklings correctly? They are otherwise eating chick starter.

2. Helloworld

Helloworld Songster

Jul 17, 2018
    Down on the Suwannee River
    I would confine him and let him rest. Niacin wont help injuries. I would put a small pool of water for physical therapy if feathered and watch him.

3. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Crowing

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
    You give the single duckling treats with the b complex over top of them so you can make sure it’s getting the amount it needs. If you want to dose everyone I make a soupy mush and add it to that.

DuckyDonna and Miss Lydia like this.
  4. DellaMyDarling

DellaMyDarling Songster

Dec 13, 2017
    Mass Hilltowns
    Ducklings are a few days old and not feathered at all. Unfortunately, I don't have a blow dryer, so water might be best waiting a bit.

So, how many treats per day with a drop of vitamin complex would they require? My understanding is that chick starter is not adequate.

DuckyDonna likes this.
  5. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Crowing

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
    On the treat I would split it up over the course of the day into two amounts for the injured one. 1/2 ml over the treats twice a day.

For the others I would make the soup and add an ml or two for a week depending on how many ducklings you have. Fewer ducklings lower ml more ducklings (over 7) 2 ml to start. You might also want to look into changing feed to purina flock riser or Nutrena nature wise chick starter both have higher niacin for your ducklings.

Miss Lydia and DellaMyDarling like this.
  6. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Crowing

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
    Water is ok . You can just dry them off with a towel and put them back under the heat right after. It helps them start building their oils and from my experience with it it helps with feathering because they preen more.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Liquid b complex can sure help . Support Is also important. Follow @Knighstar679 dosage info. and hope the little one makes a full recovery. Ask @WannaBeHillBilly

DuckyDonna likes this.
  8. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    When I give my 7 ducks a dose of B-complex I have a small bowl, mix some crumbles, some layer pellets, and some mealworms in with 1-2 Tbl of B-complex. Maybe a cup of food altogether.

I mix it up thoroughly in my small bowl until everything in there is saturated with the "B". I then add it to my food bucket but I leave it on the very top so it gets eaten first thing.

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: